Thread: Britannia serial numbers

Britannia serial numbers

A question for the very knowledgeable Britannia experts on this forum.
    Did the serial numbers run from the very first batch (first model)that were made in Germany through to the production models made in Birmingham?
    On Danny’s site I saw a couple of the first batch rifles , one serial no 95?
    I have just purchased no126 here in Australia which is stamped C G Bonehill so just wondering if they started again with numbers or just continued on from the early first model ?
    Cheers Michael
    Last edited by AirSupply; 20-11-2023 at 07:13 AM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by AirSupply View Post
    A question for the very knowledgeable Britannia experts on this forum.
    Did the serial numbers run from the very first batch (first model)that were made in Germany through to the production models made in Birmingham?
    On Danny’s site I saw a couple of the first batch rifles , one serial no 95?
    I have just purchased no126 here in Australia which is stamped C G Bonehill so just wondering if they started again with numbers or just continued on from the early first model ?
    Cheers Michael
    That is a good question, according to Dennis Hillers book it shows a first pat with a se/no 169. and second pat of known ones at the time starting at 244, book dated 1985.

Ah ok I’m no 126 would seem to indicate they probably started over again when manufacturing started in Birmingham.
    So they seem to have made quite a few of the first patterns then.
    Thanks for that information.

Quote Originally Posted by AirSupply View Post
    Ah ok I’m no 126 would seem to indicate they probably started over again when manufacturing started in Birmingham.
    So they seem to have made quite a few of the first patterns then.
    Thanks for that information.
    I think what are referrred to by Hiller as ‘1st pattern Britannia’s’ have nothing to do with Bonehill and weren’t marked as Britannias, but are based on the same Fred Cox patent. The patent number might be the only marking in them.
    I think Fred Cox had them made in Germany (possibly by the Eisenwerk Factory in Gaggenau?) and sold them himself.
    Later Bonehill aquired the patent from him. Don’t know if he’d come up with the design of the ‘C.G Bonehill Beitannia, Cox’s Patents’ prior the them acquiring the patent, or if it was a collaboration with Bonehill to develop it. His barrel release catch was patented in 1905 so I bet there was some development between Bonehill acquiring the Patent (1904?) and the release of the Britannia in 1905.

The person who knows most about this (not me) is planning to write a book on the Britannia so is understandably reticent to share any juicy info till the book is out. After that we can have a proper discussion about it.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Last edited by ptdunk; 20-11-2023 at 08:54 PM.

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    I think what are referrred to by Hiller as ‘1st pattern Britannia’s’ have nothing to do with Bonehill and weren’t marked as Britannias, but are based on the same Fred Cox patent. The patent number might be the only marking in them.
    I think Fred Cox had them made in Germany (possibly by the Eisenwerk Factory in Gaggenau?) and sold them himself.
    Later Bonehill aquired the patent from him. Don’t know if he’d come up with the design of the ‘C.G Bonehill Beitannia, Cox’s Patents’ prior the them acquiring the patent, or if it was a collaboration with Bonehill to develop it. His barrel release catch was patented in 1905 so I bet there was some development between Bonehill acquiring the Patent (1904?) and the release of the Britannia in 1905.

The person who knows most about this (not me) is planning to write a book on the Britannia so is understandably reticent to share any juicy info till the book is out. After that we can have a proper discussion about it.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Hi Matt, that is another book to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by micky2 View Post
    Hi Matt, that is another book to look forward to.
    Very much so, I’d buy two!

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post

Cheers,
    Matt
    Thanks Matt
    So it was only really a Britannia first pattern in retrospect.
    That makes sense.
    I do hope the book happens looking forward to that.
    I enjoyed your video, looking forward to the full length movie.��
    Jokes aside that whole period of Bell target, the attempt to outlaw it, the protests ect
    Along with the airgun manufacturers is a great story…..
    I went back and looked at the “Cox’s first pattern” and noticed something I hadn’t seen before.
    The compression tube/ stock is shaped for the wooden piece. It protects the delicate edge of the
    wood. Probably to expensive a process to incorporate into the “ Britannia”
    Love your work Michael
    This is the Britannia I purchased.
    The photos aren’t great.
    https://www.ozgunsales.com/listing/1...rifle_177.html
    Quite surprised that one even existed here in Australia.
    Last edited by AirSupply; 22-11-2023 at 01:41 AM.