Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silco barrels for long range

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    Outside in the yard shooting from a table, 45yds a whole mag in a 5p hole with three of the five pellets samples we had.
    that's decent, thanks for the info
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by hmangphilly View Post
    Got a couple of old Bsa barrels here Jon .
    I just cant get over how the pellet grates along the inside .
    Interestingly, the very accurate BSA barrels I have were both quite heavily polished, although that was to remove tight spots (plus tight breech)... so I guess if they were originally rough like yours, that polishing (with JB compound) would have sorted it out...
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by look no hands View Post
    Depends on what calibre barrel you got.
    177 Mr Hands . Dunno what the others are like ,although i might have a 22 around somewhere .

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Interestingly, the very accurate BSA barrels I have were both quite heavily polished, although that was to remove tight spots (plus tight breech)... so I guess if they were originally rough like yours, that polishing (with JB compound) would have sorted it out...
    Ive had a barrel issue for years and have replaced barrels on virtually every pcp Ive owned and some get a few, I found the AA CZ my go to back in the day as well as the MPR/hft500 LW barrel but Ive had luck with oddballs like the Crossman and Cometa barrels on my old mk1 rapids, its why I was interested in the Cometa boingers, that said I found an old rfd that had bought hundreds of bsa barrel blanks from the 90’s, these were for a project but dozens were left, these barrels were exceptionally good and I passed them to lots of my friends too, most still have them fitted to something and one in particular keeps appearing on the sub12 guys utube site
    bigtoe, Harry, hydroclamp, jpsnorton, gayle89, mark410, Stu83, smallholder1, wellhouse0, readingcop, sir-slots-alot, danco1987, Stevenb, DarylDiane, simpleSimon, Ratinator, Milek, Josh, Maxtich, Woodsie99, Ozzie, master_shriller, niloc, Drake267, deejayuu, shootingstars

Quote Originally Posted by nurek View Post
    Has anyone tried the Silco .25 or .20?

I want to try these but don't want to pay LW prices...
    I bought a .20 blank and fitted it to a xs20 (hw95 clone) it is super accurate, transformed it into one of my best springers up and there with my longbow, hw77 and my air arms sr
    Regards Graham

Quote Originally Posted by 32:1 View Post
    Ive had a barrel issue for years and have replaced barrels on virtually every pcp Ive owned and some get a few, I found the AA CZ my go to back in the day as well as the MPR/hft500 LW barrel but Ive had luck with oddballs like the Crossman and Cometa barrels on my old mk1 rapids, its why I was interested in the Cometa boingers, that said I found an old rfd that had bought hundreds of bsa barrel blanks from the 90’s, these were for a project but dozens were left, these barrels were exceptionally good and I passed them to lots of my friends too, most still have them fitted to something and one in particular keeps appearing on the sub12 guys utube site
    Yeah, I fitted CZ S200 barrels to all sorts back in the day, inc Pro-targets. Also fitted a career .177 barrel to a PT - that thing was seriously accurate !

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    Yes.. I found the Silco "OK", but not stellar. I had better results with BSA barrels, for example. And FWB barrels... ooh yeah...
    At what distance are you shooting with this Cometa barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Papa g View Post
    I bought a .20 blank and fitted it to a xs20 (hw95 clone) it is super accurate, transformed it into one of my best springers up and there with my longbow, hw77 and my air arms sr
    Regards Graham
    Thanks Graham, that's encouraging! I always fancied trying .20 and for that money it might be worth having a go!
    Last edited by nurek; 04-04-2024 at 04:51 PM.