Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supersport gas ram converion

flyingfish is offline I may only have 5 but I have the best 5
    Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post
    Thanks for all replies chaps,think I will try going back to spring power
    Cheers Pete
    Good, you can come to the Bash then. Far too many Pauls and Nicks. We need more Petes
    Pete

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingfish View Post
    Good, you can come to the Bash then. Far too many Pauls and Nicks. We need more Petes
    Indeed so
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Hi folks finally got a spring and spring guide installed today,doing about 10.5ftlb,does this sound about right. Not as smooth as the ram but suppose it will get better as it runs in.
    ripley ar5s
    aa ev2 Bushnell Elite 8-32x40
    castle ftc

Put a tin of pellets through it and test again
    Power can go up or down as it settles down
    Pete

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Yeah they are supposed to knock around the 11, some get closer to the 12 but thats still a respectable amount for one.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

She cocks smoothly enough and not too much recoil but a lot more twangy for now.
    ripley ar5s
    castle ftc

What ram was in it?
    Any name or markings on it?
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Hi Neil it has 22 only on a gold plate but no other markings, don't think it's made for supersport because the back end doesn't fit the retaining pin if that makes sense. It measures about 205 mm in length and front end about 22mm.
    ripley ar5s
    castle ftc

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    If someone can tell me how to make it work I'm happy for film my one running to compare it to, I've not put the Welsh Willy kit in it yet so it should be like any other Supersport from it's era (1986 and I only know that because I was told it by its previous owner), got a Chronograph too from Joffy so once I've got it sussed I'll be able to tell you it's power aswell
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

She cocks smoothly enough and not too much recoil but a lot more twangy for now.
    Twang means a poorly fitting guide or top hat
    It possibly won't change
    A piston liner can help but a new guide may be needed
    Pete

Hi folks I acquired a very nice 1986 Supersport Custom last year which is down on power. It's had a after market gas ram fitted don't know what make it is. I like the way it shoots and was wondering if anybody knows if fitting a new ram will give me more power.
    It's currently running at about 9.5 ft lbs. 22 cal
    Cheers Pete.
    Welcome to the world of gas rams, do yourself a favour and put a spring back in because the only reason it feels nice to shoot with the ram in there is precisely because it’s running at 9.5 ft/lbs…

Quote Originally Posted by elewis411 View Post
    Welcome to the world of gas rams, do yourself a favour and put a spring back in because the only reason it feels nice to shoot with the ram in there is precisely because it’s running at 9.5 ft/lbs…
    Although I feel the bsa’s with rams don’t shoot to well at full power theobens certainly do bud my sirocco 2000 is unbelievably smooth at 11+.

Hi folks finally got a spring and spring guide installed today,doing about 10.5ftlb,does this sound about right. Not as smooth as the ram but suppose it will get better as it runs in.
    Put a tin of pellets through it and test again
    Power can go up or down as it settles down
    It possibly won't change
    As Pete says, run a tin of pellets through it and then check the power again. Supersports in .22 can quite easily exceed the limit, depending on set-up.
    What pellets have you tested the power with? My .22, 1986 version delivers its highest ME figures with RWS Hobby and JSB Jumbo RS.....a good 1.75ft.lbs (from memory) more than RWS Superdome.

Twang, as said, is down to loose fitting guide and / or top hat. Snugger fitting ones would help. Some might go for an extra helping of sticky moly grease if they're not too loose, but the extra grease can rob more power and you might run the risk of some of that grease migrating forwards into the compression area, especially if not employing a piston liner.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

It possibly won't change
    Some combinations of spring and gun will twang no matter how well you fit the guides.
    Too many airguns!

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    Some combinations of spring and gun will twang no matter how well you fit the guides.
    Very possibly, evert. Each rifle ideally requires its own individual spring so that fit to guide and top hat and to the piston is all correct. I don't tend to use piston sleeves that much, but it's certainly an area where they can benefit certain guns. Some would indeed prefer synthetic guides and sleeves for more "resonance taming effect"? Preload amount can also be a factor, especially if too little preload is present, methinks. And, personally, I don't tend to run them "dry", preferring a small amount of grease.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!