Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan G View Post
I recently acquired a new HW99s 0.177 which was a little harsh to say the least. It was difficult to break the barrel and the spring made weird noises. Anyway I purchased a Welsh Willy kit including spring and set about taking it apart. Nowhere near as difficult as I thought it would be but putting it back together was a little more challenging but still not difficult. Cocking is now much smoother and shooting it is much more enjoyable too. These 99's are lovely but they do need a bit of love and attention and for me it was £70 very well spent. The bottom line here is if I can do it anyone can do it so if you're thinking about it then just do it.
Very well done on your first Boinger fettle. As you say, nowhere as tricky as one might first imagine. Nice and satisfying to be able to do it yourself and you can now rest happily in the knowledge that all is checked and as it should be. Nice to know that if you ever were to need to fix anything, it would be easy.

Many 99s I've come across have cocked and shot smoothly out of the box.

Have you done the anti-galling checks / mods?

Now enjoy.

What pellets have you tried so far? If you haven't done so already, do give the H&N FTT and Baracuda 8s a try.