Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FWB Sport.177

FWB Sport.177

As they are collectable already... thought I would enquire here.
    Wanted New model FWB Sport in .177.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    It’s called a FWB Sporter

SportER.

Because the ugly rearsight wings oversize cylinder and ugly stock make you go errrrrrr before you hand over a giant wedge of cash.

Yes, one of those lol.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Fwb

Mk4..not many around I must say. Mach 1.5

Out of interest, did they arrive in this country with 6 ftlbs springs and have to get upgraded to sub 12 springs by the U.K. importer?

I know the original 124’s were supplied by Feinwerkbau with powerful springs.

Cheers,
    Matt

Fwb mk4

Yes the UK version was 6 ft lbs. Mine runs a VMach spring to bring it up to power. Mach 1.5

There are a Venom and a Macarri tuned FWBs in the Holts Auction.

Probably more chance of a mint boxed 124 for £25 lol
    But worth trying, the odd one has been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    Yes the UK version was 6 ft lbs. Mine runs a VMach spring to bring it up to power. Mach 1.5
    Thanks.
    I have an original soft spring full power 124, I think the spring Feinwerkbau developed for that rifle contributes a lot to its excellent shooting characteristics.

How does the modern version compare when fitted with a v Mach or maccari spring, is it more like a HW95?

Cheers,
    Matt

Fwb

If I had to choose between a new 95 or the FWB MK4 then it's the FWB..Very well made and the balance is better in my opinion. There was a list of owners on here at one point as I think there was only about 30 plus in the UK. FWB missed a trick with this rifle and of course no longer made. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Mach 1.5 View Post
    If I had to choose between a new 95 or the FWB MK4 then it's the FWB..Very well made and the balance is better in my opinion. There was a list of owners on here at one point as I think there was only about 30 plus in the UK. FWB missed a trick with this rifle and of course no longer made. Mach 1.5
    Thanks, I bet the build quality was excellent.
    I was tempted at the time but the aftermarket spring fitting on such an expensive rifle put me off. I do love Feinwerkbau’s airguns though.

Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    If you are inquiring about the "Sport" that FWB manufactured up until fairly recently, yes, they are collectible. Here in the States, I purchased one of the last ones available from a retail outlet, SN 552. Curious about how many were made, I reached out to Feinwerkbau, and a Mr. Volker Müller responded with this:

The Sport model was launched in 2014 in variants with 7.5J and 18J muzzle energy and was produced in small quantities until 2022.

Total production figures:

7.5J variant - 120pcs.

18J variant - 607 pcs.

At approximately 80/yr over the course of nine years, those are shockingly low production numbers. By the way, it's a fantastic rifle. The Lothar Walther match barrel puts pellet on pellet, the Minelli stock is beautifully designed (easily the most attractive contemporary beech stock, IMHO), the all metal rear sight is a thing of beauty, the trigger is crisp, predictable, and comparable to the Rekord, and the quality of machining is outstanding. On the downside, it was extremely expensive to make, and FWB passed the cost onto customers (initial retail price was $900!). Also, a few unlucky customers fell victim to some minor quality control issues that were blown out of proportion by a vocal minority, hurting sales. But I would argue, (copying and pasting what I wrote on another forum because I'm lazy):

... the fact that FWB continued producing the Sport for nine whole years at deliberately low production numbers tells me it was conceived more as a vanity project than a moneymaker, hence the high suggested retail price due to the expensive machining involved. If it was simply about making money, they would have either produced a lot more to get the price down, or they would have pulled the plug on production after the first year or two of low sales. But no, they soldiered on and produced them at a rate that suggests a specialty made hand-built production item, not a mass-produced, run-of-the-mill break barrel.

And it shows. I'll post some side-by-side photos of the Sport and my FWB 124 for comparison.

As promised:

I have had the utmost pleasure in handling and trying out a few lovely examples of this wonderful rifle - V-Mach, Wonkydonky and home-fettled ones. Fantastic, with an undeniable quality, "top-end" feel. Would love one.

I remember Paul saying how Steve Pope had commented on the precise engineering, fit and tolerances, as you'd expect of Feinwerkbau.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulK62 View Post
    As promised:

Very nice , was your old 124 a standard version originally?