Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FWB Sport.177

The angle of the breech block/rearsight is very odd. On a break barrel you expect the barrel to be broken off the detent and the bore exposed, ready for a pellet at that angle, yet the barrel is closed, parallel with the cylinder. Very confusing!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

With those production figures it seems that
    they are far rarer than I thought.
    On the other hand, it took 10yrs to find a mint 124.
    Don't know if I will be able to cock one if it takes that long again lol
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Fwb

Interesting to see that the FAC production figures are more than low powered one. I dare say sold more in the states. Mach 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    Very nice , was your old 124 a standard version originally?
    Thank you. And, yes, keen eyes you got there. You noticed the sling swivel on the barrel is missing. I bought a standard from Beeman in my late teens when the cost differential of $35 put the deluxe out of my financial reach. Several years later, Beeman offered a deluxe select walnut stock for the 124/127, so, earning a tad more at the time, I splurged. It also has the typo "Imported by Beeman's Precision Airguns, Jnc." instead of "Inc." Like an improperly stamped coin, some obsessive FWB aficionados rate the typo version as more desirable.

FWB Sport.177

It's a lovely example, really well looked after too I see, thought that was one of beemans walnut stocks on it.

They take a great looking rifle, then ruin it by writing un-necessary clap trap all along the side of it, like " Read manual before use " .

Modern Weihrauchs are no better. such a shame on such a lovely looking gun.

Lakey

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    The angle of the breech block/rearsight is very odd. On a break barrel you expect the barrel to be broken off the detent and the bore exposed, ready for a pellet at that angle, yet the barrel is closed, parallel with the cylinder. Very confusing!

In case you're wondering, the face of the breech is perfectly flat, 90 degrees perpendicular to the bore and the transfer port, and not angled like certain Diana break barrels.

Personally, I think the angular lines of the wood and metalwork are rather striking. The angle of the rear sight blends beautifully with the breech block, and the angles at the end of the stock's forearm complement the breech block's angles.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulK62 View Post
    Thank you. And, yes, keen eyes you got there. You noticed the sling swivel on the barrel is missing. I bought a standard from Beeman in my late teens when the cost differential of $35 put the deluxe out of my financial reach. Several years later, Beeman offered a deluxe select walnut stock for the 124/127, so, earning a tad more at the time, I splurged. It also has the typo "Imported by Beeman's Precision Airguns, Jnc." instead of "Inc." Like an improperly stamped coin, some obsessive FWB aficionados rate the typo version as more desirable.
    Yep ,that’s what I noticed first . I like it
    The 121 and standard are rarer over here compared to the Deluxe .

In case you're wondering, the face of the breech is perfectly flat, 90 degrees perpendicular to the bore and the transfer port, and not angled like certain Diana break barrels.

Personally, I think the angular lines of the wood and metalwork are rather striking. The angle of the rear sight blends beautifully with the breech block, and the angles at the end of the stock's forearm complement the breech block's angles.
    It's certainly a rifle much better appreciated when seen in the flesh and handled rather than just seeing images. And, apparently, when stripped, it just oozes quality.....
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

All FWB guns do.
    My 124 Sport is 45yrs old.
    It can show any of my TX's, Prosports and Pcp's
    a clean pair of heels shooting unsupported.
    Just so easy to shoot accurately.
    Now there is HFT with no Hubble scopes or twiddling and once again the FWB can be a competitive gun in the right hands.
    One of if not the finest springer ever.
    Don't care about no Rekord trigger, I used to shoot Vulcans,BSF's, Airsporters etc so it feels like a match trigger anyway ...lol.
    The 127 was sort of ok accurate ... but the 124 is something else... especially now with modern ammo and optics to get the best out of them.
    Very good guns and still not at daft prices ...yet.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin

Sorry Paul, I'm not convinced and find the angle jarring. I think the new Sport in some ways is impressive, but not that breech!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Sport

My old mastersport FWB was so easy to shoot accurately even being a LH..Great rifle still to this day.

FWB Sport.177

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Thanks.
    I have an original soft spring full power 124, I think the spring Feinwerkbau developed for that rifle contributes a lot to its excellent shooting characteristics.

How does the modern version compare when fitted with a v Mach or maccari spring, is it more like a HW95?

Cheers,
    Matt
    My old 124 was superb to shoot with a maccarri mongoose kit in .

I have just shot my FT TX ,another TX and Prosport all in .177 freehand at 25yds.
    All about a 5p, checking zero for tomorrows
    visit to Emley moor FT ground.
    Then proceeded to outshoot them all ,so easily
    with a 1979 FWB 124.
    Not 5p, near enough the same hole.
    Makes me wonder why I even have the others..lol.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreengrass View Post
    I have just shot my FT TX ,another TX and Prosport all in .177 freehand at 25yds.
    All about a 5p, checking zero for tomorrows
    visit to Emley moor FT ground.
    Then proceeded to outshoot them all ,so easily
    with a 1979 FWB 124.
    Not 5p, near enough the same hole.
    Makes me wonder why I even have the others..lol.
    It's a brilliant rifle but it has weak spots. The safety catch spring can bend or break, causing it to fail in that you can squeeze the trigger with the safety on. The breech latch nib will eventually wear and good luck finding a new one - I understand they can be built up with weld but thats a tricky process. The breech bolt is harder than the breech block so eventually the hole will become worn elliptically and will need drilling and a bush inserted. The rear cylinder block is soft alloy so it's very easy to cross-thread the anchor bolt when reassembling it. The early trigger is plastic and the metal ones can fail.

Those are its mechanical failings.

As a shooter you have to be a very experienced springer shooter to get good results out of it, hold the rifle very lightly and consistently.
    The trigger is not an 'active' mechanism and is slightly creepy and not as precise as a Rekord or CD, or anywhere near other FWB offerings.
    It needs a long spring compressor and some patience to reassemble with the use of zip-ties to get the safety and back block back in.

Obviously you know what you are doing with your Sport, but if it was your only rifle you might find it let you down with its fragility after heavy use. For less accomplished springer shooters the HW77 and AA TX200 are much more forgiving, much more robust and much easier to live with than the highly-strung FWB Sport. In some ways it was built down to a price, if they had made it the same way as the FWB150 and FWB300 then it would probably still be around.

Sometimes I wish I had never sold mine, but my long-stoke HW50 old school does everything it could do, although its not as pretty.