Thread: Eyesight

Eyesight

I found some CO2 cartridges so decided to dig out the beretta for the first time in years..

Now I have reasonable distance vision but I now need glasses to read or do close up work.

Consequently I can see my plinking targets well but the iron sights on the gun are a blurr.

So I popped on my glasses and the gun sights were clear but the target was a blurred blob.

Has anyone else overcome this problem?

Thanks

Andrew
    Wanted: Trigger guard and a muzzle end cap for a .22 Webley Eclipse Mk2.

Segata is online now Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Have you tried a Glow sight or similar on the Beretta, won't correct the Blur per se but you'll have a reference point your eye can see easier, only otherthing I can think of is bifocal glasses as if I remember right the Beretta reps don't usually have much in the way of optic mounts.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLincs View Post
    I found some CO2 cartridges so decided to dig out the beretta for the first time in years..

Now I have reasonable distance vision but I now need glasses to read or do close up work.

Consequently I can see my plinking targets well but the iron sights on the gun are a blurr.

So I popped on my glasses and the gun sights were clear but the target was a blurred blob.

Has anyone else overcome this problem?
    Quite often when buying prescription glasses it's a BOGOF job, so for a second pair I went for a pair ideal for shooting a pistol, not bifocal or varifocal. Astigmatism is corrected obviously (not done with two-quid specs) and less 'magnification' than my computer monitor glasses, which are less than my reading glasses, which are less than either mag of my workbench engineering bifocals.

For what they do, glasses are a bargain. I don't need glasses other than for close stuff. I find the pistol glasses generally beneficial around the house - I don't realise I'm wearing them (which is a problem when I go looking for them).
    Last edited by Antoni; 20-05-2024 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Single focal length
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

You need to focus on the foresight, target can be a blur.
    I have not tried this with pistols so much.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Antoni is offline There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    Exactly.

And only just, or even not quite in focus. Then you get the best compromise of focus.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Quote Originally Posted by Neil54 View Post
    I have not tried this with pistols so much.
    Thats where a Glowsight or even a dot of paint could come in handy, easier to keep the the eye on it and it's what I've put on my Beretta (using a glow pigment paint as its a plastic rep so sights moulded in), I'd offer to do it but Durhams not near here.

Even someone with perfect eyes can only focus on one thing at a time. Just focus on the front sight.

Eyesight.
    I have an adjustable iris I had given to me years ago, it's fitted to a small strip of metal I drilled a hole in an old pair of shooting glasses, sharpens the image & has enabled me to continue using iron sights on pistol ( when we were allowed) them & rifle which I still use for that. Unfortunately I have no idea where he obtained it, he was an engineer now long gone, if you would like a picture of it I can send one on Whatsap. the other alterative is buying a pair of glasses as used by competition shooters but I imagine the cost would be prohibitive.
    Elwellaxe.

I solved a similar problem by fitting a cheap red dot (reflex) sight.

Thanks

Thank you everybody for your helpful suggestions.

I shall certainly try a spot of bright paint on the sights and see if that helps.

Also I remembered that when I go to have my eyes checked they fit a pinhole in front of the eye and suddenly I can read all the letters on the chart!

So some room for experimentation.

I may get a Crosman 2240 to play with and try the red dot idea.

Its either that or stick to my rifle..

Regards

Andrew
    Wanted: Trigger guard and a muzzle end cap for a .22 Webley Eclipse Mk2.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLincs View Post
    Thank you everybody for your helpful suggestions.

...Also I remembered that when I go to have my eyes checked they fit a pinhole in front of the eye and suddenly I can read all the letters on the chart! ...
    Andrew
    But only in good light and good conditions!

That's the principle of closing down the aperture or raising the f number on a camera - much more is in focus but it lets less light in - you need loads more light on the subject of the pic... Same with a pinhole / peep sight I suppose. Wear sunglasses until you need to take the shot!

I get on well with the glow sights on the HW45 pistol; they work really well - even in very low light provided my eye gets accustomed to it. I have to use the low mag 'shooting glasses as well.
    Last edited by Antoni; 21-05-2024 at 10:41 AM.
    P1V1overT1=P2V2overT2

Revell is the Brand that make the Glow Paint I have, just watch out using it as it can give you an Evil Headache (took several days to go after putting the effects into my Ghost ship), places like the Works do cheap flourescent neons too.
    If they ever rep the Langdon Beretta we'd be laughing as it's got Irons that can interchange with an Optic mount as an Optic will definately fix the issue, would love an engraved custom one thats for sure.

I have the same problem. I simply didn't do enough open sights style shooting so gave it up. If I did start again I'd be tempted to try a red dot first. There Is a good selection of pistol scopes & LPVO rifle scopes that could possibly double up in use & multi task ?
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
    I have the same problem. I simply didn't do enough open sights style shooting so gave it up. If I did start again I'd be tempted to try a red dot first. There Is a good selection of pistol scopes & LPVO rifle scopes that could possibly double up in use & multi task ?
    What about a Fibre Optic front sight? Could be a bit cheaper than a Red Dot if just trying things out.

The human eye cannot focus on both a near object (pistol sights) and far object (target) at the same time. For pistol target shooting, the front sight is supposed to be in focus and the target will naturally be a blur. The instant you focus on the target, your shot is lost. Front sight, front sight, front sight! Unless you have astigmatism, off-the-hook readers are a good solution if you cannot see the front sight properly.
    Walther CP-2 Match, FAS 604 & Tau 7 target pistols, Smith & Wesson 6" & 4" co2 pistol, Crosman 1377,
    Baikal IZH 53 pistol, Gamo CFX Royal,177, Umarex SA-10 CO2 pistol.