Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to make sure your 'new' gun is indeed new ?

Naming the shop etc is not what the thread is about,but l have screen shots of the original add,the new add and also l keep copies of the paperwork for anything FAC.

Re the wobble, surely the action just needed bedding in to the stock a little ? I've had to bed 2 rifles & a Boyds laminate stock, all brand new.

Re the "new" rifle, I've only ever bought 6 rifles new, only 2 of those were "out on the rack" & in both cases I asked if they had one still boxed rather than the display model & bought the boxed one,
    in truth 1 of those probably doesn't count because the one in the rack was wood & I wanted synthetic.

Bit naughty passing off a pre-owned rifle as new, even if you only had it for four days, but should come to light when the new owner tries to register it.

Quote Originally Posted by ashf9999 View Post
    In that case an item should clearly be treated as second hand, and if a shop tried to pass it off as new then I would imagine it would fall under the Misrepresentation Act 1967, and possibly others.
    Yes.

Firstly one would hope that any faults have been corrected and the shop isn't just trying to sell the gun on again knowing that faults exist.

Secondly, they should be marketing this as a "nearly-new, hardly used gun" as opposed to new.

As said up above, there may be issues when the next owner tries to register the warranty.

How does vat work on used guns? Are they sold + vat, like new, or does vat not apply to the selling price but the dealer pays vat on the margin (as is the case with used motorbikes & cars)?
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

If we all want a sealed gun in its box, how can you compare two different guns? Once you've had a look at it your claiming its not new.

Regarding vat on secondhand goods. You either pay vat on the whole item or pay vat on the difference you paid for it and what you sell it for.
    Cars is not so much of a problem.
    Buy a second hand gun and a new tin of pellets, that two different ways of accounting vat. Also two accountants fees.

It can be easier and cheaper in the long run to charge vat on the whole item and make a smaller profit.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

To answer the original question.
    If a gun is bought new, the warranty is with the manufacturer or distributor.
    Once the gun is returned from the warranty repair its as good as new.
    If all the rifles do indeed rock in the stocks, then it could go back on the shelf.

Now if its been dragged through the mud and had a 1000 rounds through it then it would be different.
    Repariere nicht, was nicht kaputtist.

Speaking from a shop point of view, there is no way we can sell an air rifle or air pistol in a sealed box. We have to check them over and record the serial numbers (you would be surprised how many times serial numbers get mixed up on boxes). Companies like Weihrauch also send their guns in empty, so we have to fill them and check they are holding air.

It has to be a big shop to hold stocks of unopened guns for every gun they have on the shelf as well (space being one thing and the stock holding money as well).

Quote Originally Posted by TonyL View Post
    Yes.

Firstly one would hope that any faults have been corrected and the shop isn't just trying to sell the gun on again knowing that faults exist.

Secondly, they should be marketing this as a "nearly-new, hardly used gun" as opposed to new.

As said up above, there may be issues when the next owner tries to register the warranty.

How does vat work on used guns? Are they sold + vat, like new, or does vat not apply to the selling price but the dealer pays vat on the margin (as is the case with used motorbikes & cars)?
    If any item has been refunded, then VAT would still be liable on it when it sells. As you say, with a nearly-new gun you could reduce the net price accordingly, but HMRC is still due its 20% on what it sells for.

Segata is online now Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Quote Originally Posted by gunshop View Post
    Speaking from a shop point of view, there is no way we can sell an air rifle or air pistol in a sealed box. We have to check them over and record the serial numbers (you would be surprised how many times serial numbers get mixed up on boxes). Companies like Weihrauch also send their guns in empty, so we have to fill them and check they are holding air.

It has to be a big shop to hold stocks of unopened guns for every gun they have on the shelf as well (space being one thing and the stock holding money as well).
    That's fair enough but surely theres some packaging you still leave in place to do that?
    Admitedly the only gun I've had brand new was the Red Ryder so hardly a high end item but it did have stuff still left in place, you are though probably going to be the best authority here to tell a persepective buyer what to spot to make sure they have a good experiance.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Quote Originally Posted by Segata View Post
    That's fair enough but surely theres some packaging you still leave in place to do that?
    Admitedly the only gun I've had brand new was the Red Ryder so hardly a high end item but it did have stuff still left in place, you are though probably going to be the best authority here to tell a persepective buyer what to spot to make sure they have a good experiance.
    Unless we order it in especially, all our guns go out on the racks.

I had a similar experience with a FAS604 pistol purchased brand new, turned out to be a complete piece of poop, returned for warranty repairs, and then for a full refund

Advertised after this for sale with serial numbers visible as new on their website...... robbers
    TX200 .177 21mm TL | TX200HC .22 22mm TL | Prosport .22 22mm TL
    HW40 | HW45 | Diana Mod5 | Webley Senior....... Because PCP is like kissing your sister (apparently)

Shocking behaviour going on here with some shops
    LOOKING FOR A BSA ULTRA IN .177 and .25

Segata is online now Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    It can be down to desperation, times not been kind to all business and while not right and shouldn't be passed onto the next guy, some may not be able to afford to make that drop or wait for the Manufacturer to repair or replace stock, there will always be some though that yes are for a quick buck.
    I think whats maybe best if someone knowledgeable i.e not me is up for it is to make a stickyed guide on what to look for to spot a good un from a bad un then we can try and learn, support the good guys and keep our minds at ease when buying a new one for the collection.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

I once bought a new gun, boxed & all seemed in order, it was an Xmas gift bought a few months earlier. Due to "circumstances" it was gifted much later, found to be not quite right, due to circumstances I had it returned after less than 50 shots. By now over 12 months old lost receipt etc. My friend stripped it & had a look. Conclusion was the shop had taken out the internals & replaced with well used & worn internals to repair another rifle or a customer had bought getting a free repair it, returned the rifle as unused for a refund. Never been to that shop since. Compare that to another shop that was holding a new rifle (powder) for my variation, when I went to collect / pay for it I was offered a return, absolutely mint & would pass as brand new at a good saveing. The shop owner said the rifle & ammo come back minus 17 rounds. I still use that shop.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.