Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanel 303

MetroidManiac Guest

Hanel 303

does anyone own a hanel 303? i just bought one today as my first rifle and i like it. but does anyone know the average f/lb of these rifles and what is the best pellet to use?

(i bought this gun to get me started, im gonna get a lightning in june (birthday) hopefully!)

MetroidManiac Guest
    oh BTW, does anybody know the f/lb?

Bloody hell that's an oldie

The HAenel 303, produced from around 1970 through into the early 80s. No idea on power, but it's contemporaries of the day were pushing 7-10ft/lb so unseen I'd guesstimate somewhere nearer the lower end of that for a half decent example.

It should make a good plinker, and obviously has the build quality judging by the age!

Enjoy it mate - can I ask what you paid for it?

Dan
    Last edited by Geordie; 13-02-2006 at 07:28 PM.

I have a couple of Haenel 302's (older version of the 303) in my collection. Lovely guns with a better build quality than similar British guns of that period (Meteor, Hawk etc.) with auto safety catch.
    I shoot RWS Hobby through mine because they are lighter and would expect a M.E. of around 7-8ft.lbs. in my examples.

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

MetroidManiac Guest
    Thanks mate, it really well built (really) i love it, great for my firt rifle, AND I LOVE PLINKING! this'll be a great rifle, can i put new spings in them?
    The rifle cost £30 from a local shop, im gonna get good with this, then get a better one. A bargin I say!

P.S im using really rubbish marksman pellets at the moment:s

MetroidManiac Guest
    oh, can i sand down the stosk and re-varnish it? its got a few scratches

I'd resist the temptation to change the spring for the moment. Have it chronographed at your local airgun shop or gun club and see what M.E. (muzzle energy) its doing. These never were a power house rifle from new. If its doing around the 6 or 7 ft.lbs mark with good quality pellets I, personally wouldn't strip it.
    If you do decide to replace the spring try to get a standard or one as near to standard as possible. Dont try to increase the power by cramming an Ox spring in.
    Shoot safe and enjoy your (classic) new gun.

HTH
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by MetroidManiac
    Thanks mate, it really well built (really) i love it, great for my firt rifle, AND I LOVE PLINKING! this'll be a great rifle, can i put new spings in them?
    The rifle cost £30 from a local shop, im gonna get good with this, then get a better one. A bargin I say!

P.S im using really rubbish marksman pellets at the moment:s
    that is definatly the right attitude mate
    ford focus. 133bhp 262ft/ib of torque
    anshutz 8002
    RIVINGTON RIFLEMEN & WENDOVER FTC

MetroidManiac Guest
    so the marksman pellets wont give it the optimum power?

Quote Originally Posted by MetroidManiac
    oh, can i sand down the stosk and re-varnish it? its got a few scratches
    Have a look in 'My gun collection' at the photo of the two 302's. The one on the left, the darker one, has had its stock refinished by DM80 off here. He did his usual good job.

MetroidManiac Guest
    Im still confused on the pellet situation, better pellets make the gun preform better?

basically the better quality the pellet the more consistent it should be due to all the pellets being very similar. then it comes down to which pellet 'groups' best with you and your gun this should be done rested but with a loose hold because this air rifle will recoil .hope this helps. one teenager helping another
    ford focus. 133bhp 262ft/ib of torque
    anshutz 8002
    RIVINGTON RIFLEMEN & WENDOVER FTC

MetroidManiac Guest

Very nice mate, looks a good, honest example.

IMO you should just shoot it for a while - forget the stock refinish etc for now, just enjoy it.

The stock could look lovely once refinished, but it'll take a lot of time and effort to do it properly without ruining it - while it's your only gun you'll want to spend the time shooting it instead

Good price that as well - I'd be very happy to pay the same for it myself!

Dan

MetroidManiac Guest
    Ya im gonna shoot in my back garden, and at The LVAGC and get good with it, then up-grade in summer(never gonna get rid of the 303 though, its a sur keeper!)