Thread: Springer shooting at 70 yards

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Longbow test card

Hi Guys
    This was my 68yd group With the Longbow . Shot with not much wind on 3x mag Aimed 3 dots high.I shoot on 12ft power level and seem to get worse groups with more mag. Some laterall stringing not sure if thats me or wind
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by remorem2jh@supanet.com; 26-11-2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: more info added
    Longbow .22 , S410k .22.BSA Airsporter .22

Quote Originally Posted by remorem2jh@supanet.com View Post
    Some laterall stringing not sure if thats me or wind
    Most probably wind - as Flims points out, once you start to stretch the distance, even if there is no discernable wind at your firing point, there can be plenty closer to the target. Although it won't have the effect that wind at the muzzle has, it will still be enough to produce that kind of lateral drift. Try stringing up a hankie or similar material at the target - might help give you a read if there is no vegetation to assist you.

Good shooting!

i agree with you. since you are doing this in what seems to be your own private place you can hang some ribbon along the way. closer to the ground the pellet seems to find less wind than high above so keep it as low as possible.if you shoot from an enclosed place like many you will not be aware of the gust. i use to shoot with my car parked behind me. the winds coming form 5 or 8 O'clock to me seemed non existant because the car was shielding me. i would wonder why my hits would be going slightly to one side.then i would stand up and realise that indeed there is a 4mile/hour wind which at longer ranges does have its effect.
    remember these are pellets and unlike their big brother Blk Powders(big brother for they are also relatively slowmoving), they dont have the Huge mass to support them!

stringing

Might be wind i was shooting out the window of the van so would be sheilded
    but also resting on bones would not help the cause , rested on a proper bench would have been better but i practice what i can use around the farm (not that i would shoot that far with the springer) might get a chance for a proper session soon with a mate.
    Happy shooting guys.

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    70 yards seems possible with my HW80. I shot it at Lea Valley a few weeks ago while I was bedding it in after tuning it, 500 shots in an afternoon with a HW80

I was hitting small pieces of clays and shotgun carts at 65 yards almost every shot, and that was with only a 10mag scope on it.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post
    70 yards seems possible with my HW80. I shot it at Lea Valley a few weeks ago while I was bedding it in after tuning it, 500 shots in an afternoon with a HW80

I was hitting small pieces of clays and shotgun carts at 65 yards almost every shot, and that was with only a 10mag scope on it.

Cheers

John
    Give it a go snooper and let us know how you got on the hw80 should be stable due to the weight , Bet your arm was sore cocking that beast 5oo times.

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Quote Originally Posted by remorem2jh@supanet.com View Post
    Give it a go snooper and let us know how you got on the hw80 should be stable due to the weight , Bet your arm was sore cocking that beast 5oo times.
    Yup, it was still aching a week later when I did it's first HFT.

I started shooting the long stuff that day as I had shot most of the shotgun carts from 15 yards out and I was getting bored. I also managed to shoot some string at 20 yards that somone had suggested was for just that, unfortunatly after 3 direct hits in the same place, and cutting it, a voice piped up "who just shot my plumb. Bob?"
    I owned up but felt very embarrased.

Good trick though

I'll try some long range groups when I get the chance.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.