Thread: how to teach an 8 year old to shoot.

how to teach an 8 year old to shoot.

Ever since going to open day at Worcester norton my son has been wishing to shoot-safely. He has used my S410 prone under supervision shooting knockdowns at 10 yds but stock and gun too big and have to help him support gun. Have you any advice- keen to encourage but would be interested i how anyone else has brought on a keen 8 year old. What guns would you rcommend for a young shooter to use-how does the law apply to such situations?
    aa S410, MTC Mamba 4-16 x 50

Youngster must be supervised.

A good gun that a young lad in my old club learnt on was the AA S200. Accurate gun, and not too big. I think he may have had a little bit taken of the butt of the stock though, to help him out.

Ali-C is offline It looks so pretty burning
    The Brocock Contour is a small, lightweight gun, not many shots per charge, but it should do the job for a little 'un.
    Quote Originally Posted by madnurse View Post
    Would like to try FT but being a short fat stumpy git i would look like a weeble wobbling about, spraying pellets everywhere like a deranged mafia boss

what about a ratcatcher? very small and light and cheap as chips, great as a starter for someone young. the only problem is you have to keep buying c02 capsules and not full power. another alternative could be the bsa ultra? another small and light pcp.

The ultra is a cracking rifle but is difficult for a little 'un to cock. The s200 is still quite heavy and will be too long for an 8 year old. the Brocock again, although compact and light, still has a stock designed for adult reach. The only real option is to buy something second hand and find someone who can chop a section out of the stock. If it's done right then the section can be added again later if selling or if your son grows. I had a BSA ultra for the combo fund that had a section chopped from the stock and that made the rifle a perfect fit for the 10 year old it went to.

oh, the ratcatcher is also designed with an adult reach.

Actually just remembered, i have a BSA ultra stock that Kieran T stripped for me. It's stood in the garage gathering dust. If you go for an ultra then let me know and i'll get someone to take a section out of the stock and refit the but pad, you can have it for nowt

Edit, best advice is look for a local club and take him there.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Feral is offline One of my mil dots is missing
    I had an ultra for my boy, was impossible for him to cock, also had a falcon. We eventually settled on an S200 (The brocock wasn't around then and also shot count is low for a full HFT round)

I've cut the back off and not taken the silencer off, works a treat for him and he's quite a small 9 year old... still kicks some adult butt at the comps though

Here it is when I first blinged it up at full length

Here is is cut down and short enough for him to use comfortably

I've kept the piece I took out but will probably just by a custom stock once we're back to full length (or pass it on to another junior at the club)
    Walther dominator Lightstream FFP, s200 with Viper 10x44 - Buxted HFT My A4 Targets - HFT Kill zone sizes

We bought a Brocock Contour for our 8 year old son, who's small for his age but he loves it and he does well round our 30 target course and he gets round all 30 without re-filling. Lovely little rifle!

Feral is offline One of my mil dots is missing
    Tony I thought it was 30 shots in .22 and 20 in .177 which would mean if you get 3 or 4 stops at an HFT comp your getting up to one third over the shot count... have you found this not to be the case?

I was speaking to Matt Lowe the works manager for Brocock at the Airgun expo WHFTA and he said they would be looking at a slightly larger bottle version to increase the count in the not too distant future. I was holding out for this for my boy.

*edit*

This from BAR on the shot count

Length 69cm
    Weight 1.7kg
    Shots per charge 20 shots in .177cal 25 shots in .22cal
    Last edited by Feral; 24-06-2009 at 08:37 AM.
    Walther dominator Lightstream FFP, s200 with Viper 10x44 - Buxted HFT My A4 Targets - HFT Kill zone sizes

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    I had an ultra for my boy, was impossible for him to cock, also had a falcon. We eventually settled on an S200 (The brocock wasn't around then and also shot count is low for a full HFT round)

I've cut the back off and not taken the silencer off, works a treat for him and he's quite a small 9 year old... still kicks some adult butt at the comps though

Here it is when I first blinged it up at full length

Here is is cut down and short enough for him to use comfortably

I've kept the piece I took out but will probably just by a custom stock once we're back to full length (or pass it on to another junior at the club)

Good job, i would say that would have been the way i'd have gone if i wanted a rifle for a young one.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

My 5 year old (six now) got “the use of a” Ratcatcher for Christmas, I cut down the stock and added some bits, he loves it and shoots like a demon after just 6 months. I cut the stock down and added a higher comb to compensate for the scope. He loves it.
    I think we will be getting him “the use of” a Contour next Christmas. I will be talking to Mr Frenchie about a stock that we can both use!!!

As far as the law goes as long as he is constantly supervised while he shoots its all legal.

Just a note about gun safety, Alex (my boy) is not allowed to point any of his toy guns and anyone anymore, good practice for him. He is now very gun safety concious.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/517...2009375ui1.jpg
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/2...2009374dj8.jpg

And this is for when he grows up

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/103/04062009590.jpg

jinx is offline Southern Hunter Champion.
    I had the same problem with my lad a few years back, the solution was >this<.

ever thought of geting a SKAN rifle? they seem very practical with having such short length and compact design and a 32 SHOT MAG i think the balance of this gun would be perfect for the little un' or even for a adult not sure on anything else about thte gun such as accuracy and reliability, but gary cooper just brought one-you could contact him and ask what he thinks about it

I know a lot that have got the kids a Ratcatcher and have adapted it to fit

Were you to go break barrel, the smaller Weihrachs are great. The HW30 has a great trigger, the HW25 less so. However, I have had many, many Cub Scouts shooting HW25s with no problem. The Gamo Cadet is good too - bombproof, accurate and easy to cock.

I also use S200s with small people, but the stock might be too long even with the spacers out. Also, if you want to really raise the comb you will have to change the screws for longer ones.

HTH,

thanks for the advice

Cheers for all the advice. Thomas will be going out with me to see if we can get some rabbits- I'll shoot but he can pick up and use binoculars to spot - hope to be out Sunday weather permiting.
    aa S410, MTC Mamba 4-16 x 50