Thread: Centra or Gehmann ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Beretta303,

I use the Anschutz 9775, the Centra 3.0 & 1.8 Basic, and the 510 Gehmann Basic on my Gehmann Compact 590 rear-sighted rifles.

I suspect that at least some of these irises are made by the same chappies

I have found all of these irises to be quite excellent, and use two (2) of the rifles (recoiling springers) for field use, matched with the Centra High End 3mm post element.

I have felt no need to have any colour filters or polarisers in the rear iris - they can be added to the anti-tube in the rear-sight if needed, and this results in a much simpler and less complex iris.

It should be noted that these irises have taken the battering from 11 ft.lb rifles in their stride

+1 on the Centra High End foresight elements - for me, they are excellent performers ( I prefer the 4.6 / 1.2 elements for 10m shooting ).

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Beretta303,

I use the Anschutz 9775, the Centra 3.0 & 1.8 Basic, and the 510 Gehmann Basic on my Gehmann Compact 590 rear-sighted rifles.

I suspect that at least some of these irises are made by the same chappies

I have found all of these irises to be quite excellent, and use two (2) of the rifles (recoiling springers) for field use, matched with the Centra High End 3mm post element.

I have felt no need to have any colour filters or polarisers in the rear iris - they can be added to the anti-tube in the rear-sight if needed, and this results in a much simpler and less complex iris.

It should be noted that these irises have taken the battering from 11 ft.lb rifles in their stride

+1 on the Centra High End foresight elements - for me, they are excellent performers ( I prefer the 4.6 / 1.2 elements for 10m shooting ).

Have fun & a good Sunday

Best regards

Russ
    Hiya mate, cheers for the info, it helps to know that whatever I choose to buy from either maker will do the do in terms of quality.

Tho its all far more complex than I anticipated, but interesting at the same time and I love experimenting so its all good fun.

Regards

Ian

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    Hi Ian,

A polariser is really only useful if you shoot in conditions where there is mirage,this appears in your spotting scope as a boiling effect as air rises on wet ground,the effect this has on the target is that it appears higher than it actually is so the shot goes high,a polariser negates this effect to some extent,it usually only occurs on open ground in sun
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr

Quote Originally Posted by tufty View Post
    Hi Ian,

A polariser is really only useful if you shoot in conditions where there is mirage,this appears in your spotting scope as a boiling effect as air rises on wet ground,the effect this has on the target is that it appears higher than it actually is so the shot goes high,a polariser negates this effect to some extent,it usually only occurs on open ground in sun
    All a polariser does is reduce glare and improve contrast, it can do nothing to change the degree of apparent target movement caused by refraction (mirage). If you think about it, all you are doing is to alter what is perceived by the eye, you can do nothing to affect the conditions between sight and target that give rise to refraction. What you might achieve with a polariser is to reduce the apparent elongation of the aiming mark by virtue of the reduction on glare but you can do nothing about the refraction that occurs in the cylinder of air between you and the target. If anyone tells you differently, ask them to explain the physics that underpin their answer.

Rutty