Thread: Simple homemade jigs and tools....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Some great tips. It’s always the simplest ones the save you the most time and frustration.

I found this saved me a lot of time making chequered grip plates for pistols. First select a bolt or old tap with the thread size corresponding to the size chequering you want, and then grind away surplus metal to give a single toothed cutting edge:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...pskdy8etno.jpg

Clamp a sheet of selected hard wood of the final thickness to the lathe cross slide and make a single pass under the cutting tool in one direction. Then move the plate round to make a second pass, so giving a diamond pattern. The shape of the diamonds can be made anything you want by choosing the angle between the two passes..

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...psjezomet9.jpg

You can then cut out the shape of the grip plate and add any necessary side chequering by hand. This method cuts out 90% of the hand chequering, and the machined pattern gives you an easy guide for the hand chequering bits.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...pscbj2t5qz.jpg
    Now that is brilliant John, never seen that idea before. My most used tools are not as sophisticated, sharpened leather punches to cut the O.D. and I.D. of seals, and wooden clamping system to hold the difficult Airsporter and Mercury trigger block squarely in the vice when putting a strong new spring in. Like this thread.
    Oh, I forgot top of a pen to put new seal on piston dovetail...

Baz

Last edited by Benelli B76; 10-04-2017 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Add tool
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    Now that is brilliant John, never seen that idea before. My most used tools are not as sophisticated, sharpened leather punches to cut the O.D. and I.D. of seals, and wooden clamping system to hold the difficult Airsporter and Mercury trigger block squarely in the vice when putting a strong new spring in. Like this thread.
    Oh, I forgot top of a pen to put new seal on piston dovetail...

Baz

Love the pen lid tool, so simple.

...On a similar theme, an old (filled) removable nozzle of a silicon/mastic tube makes a handy makeshift tool for stretching leather.
    blah blah

Being a doddery old pensioner (is it true gunshops have extended hours on a Wednesday for pensioners - and a discount like B&Q?) and not having the strength of a stallion anymore, I knocked up a tool to fit the Airsporter/Challenger/Mercury block that fits my home made spring compressor and rotates in perfect alignment of the male and female threads. Also, many other type of adapters that are easy push fit into the threaded spindle of the G-clamp. The spring compressor is totally adjustable, safe and easy to use.

Out of interest I made a tool that easily removes and replaces the Maxi-scope rail, it was a bit fun doing it, and not being sexually active as in the days of youth, much time to spend fiddling.

All tools made from scrap bits of metal lying around, I even used the 'L' section angle from an abandoned roadworks sign frame - this made parts of the Maxi-scope rail tool and the base for the spring compressor!

I don't have a cosmos 'photo hosting website and don't wish to, but, if anyone want to provide visuals for this thread, I can email a couple of photographs....Warning, if I have. in my senile moment, mailed something inappropriate, it is the tools that we are interested in.....

All the best....

I'd love to see some home made spring compressors.
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Being a doddery old pensioner (is it true gunshops have extended hours on a Wednesday for pensioners - and a discount like B&Q?) and not having the strength of a stallion anymore, I knocked up a tool to fit the Airsporter/Challenger/Mercury block that fits my home made spring compressor and rotates in perfect alignment of the male and female threads. Also, many other type of adapters that are easy push fit into the threaded spindle of the G-clamp. The spring compressor is totally adjustable, safe and easy to use.

Out of interest I made a tool that easily removes and replaces the Maxi-scope rail, it was a bit fun doing it, and not being sexually active as in the days of youth, much time to spend fiddling.

All tools made from scrap bits of metal lying around, I even used the 'L' section angle from an abandoned roadworks sign frame - this made parts of the Maxi-scope rail tool and the base for the spring compressor!

I don't have a cosmos 'photo hosting website and don't wish to, but, if anyone want to provide visuals for this thread, I can email a couple of photographs....Warning, if I have. in my senile moment, mailed something inappropriate, it is the tools that we are interested in.....

All the best....
    Blimey...private moments and the threat of inappropriate tool references...its like an infamous scene from a Ray Winstone filum?...

ne'erdowell #1- "Where's your tool?"
    ne'redowell #2- "yes, it does, doesn't it..."

...or am I thinking of the one about the two nuns in the bath?

Send them to me if you like, I'll host and post the links for all to see

Quote Originally Posted by vbull View Post
    Sash cramp?...
    blah blah

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    I suppose this is a spring compressor of sorts, very crude but very useful for dealing with gat-type pistols where the muzzle nut is difficult to shift.
    http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...psxpshbnc1.jpg

As you can see here, it holds the spring back and exposes enough of the barrel to be able to grip it with pliers so that you can apply leverage when unscrewing the muzzle nut.
    http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...pslycsuzmm.jpg

Sash cramps make ideal spring compressors Robert.
    I faced the cramps with thick leather to avoid marking the metal surfaces and also help prevent slippage, and use several releasable plastic ties to keep cylinders in place. I rarely use it so haven't yet made a cover for the adjustable length of the cramp, but I just wrap it in a cloth to prevent marking the cylinder.

The suggestions for various home brew bits 'n pieces are very useful if one has a lathe, but, like myself I'm sure there are many that don't, so we have to go the Heath Robinson route and make items that require little machining.

Fortunately, over the years I have managed to build up quite a useful kit of tools including a set and various single gasket/leather hole punches up to 35mm, which have proven useful on occasion.
    I have more spanners and sockets than I know what to do with, so have donated quite a few to a charitable organisation that was prepared to collect. Unfortunately this means they will go abroad as all the other charities couldn't be bothered to collect anything.
    I've got a 4 tray Snap-On tool chest that I don't have much use for now, so I may well dispose of that as well, although I may try and raise some cash for that for another charity that don't deal with that sort of thing.

Another idea ... very simple but works:
    Rifle cylinder clamps to hold the cylinder in a vice (or similar) while you mess about with other bits e.g rebuilding a trigger mech or fitting a BSA sloping end block.
    All you need is a short (3" - 4") length of plastic 2" waste pipe and some rubber sheet (rubber belting 3mm thick is perfect). Cut waste pipe in half down its length. Cut two bits of rubber sheet each big enough to fit inside the 'half' pipes and glue the sheet in place ... contact adhesive or similar. Clamp / tie the pipe and rubber sheet around another bit of pipe to keep rubber sheet i place while glue dries. Perfect. I have used my clamp protectors for years and they have not failed yet.
    As an extension, if you make another set or sets using narrower plastic pipe you can make perfect grips for other round section parts that you need to grip firmly e.g. by molegrips or water pump pliers without marking the item. If using mole grips I use the grips that have curved faces. For the plastic pipe I have used bits from defunct solar powered garden lights to great effect. I guess hose pipe would do but I think the plastic pipe would give better grip and prevent the mole grips from digging into the rubber lining.
    Cheers, Phil

Loving this topic. Keep it up.
    Just for fun my latest gismo used by necessity today.
    doesn't look like much but weighs same as about six cissy bags of cement.