Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: schimel, valuation

GP22 schimel, valuation

I am slowly selling off shooting stuff and guns i dont use, some never used, down to my last couple for sale, had this schimel for years never shot it didnt have the nerve to put co2 in it to try,
    its been dry stored for years, no corrosion i can see, but everythings a bit stiff, lots of wear and finish missing, grips are ok no cracks, rear lever works, toggle, side catch is stiff, trigger not moving but dont want to break anything, looking at selling as a project, or why, any idea of prices these go for? thanks serial number includes 54 so assume 1954? best place to sell?

the gun has cast into it P22, but looks like a capital G is stamped in front of the P22, might have a bearing on it value.
    Last edited by hawkdriver; 12-01-2018 at 08:43 PM.

You could let Lawrie A service it for you, as that would get you the best value.

You can contact him via pm on here .

I'd be interested in it as well

Quote Originally Posted by hawkdriver View Post
    I am slowly selling off shooting stuff and guns i dont use, some never used, down to my last couple for sale, had this schimel for years never shot it didnt have the nerve to put co2 in it to try,
    its been dry stored for years, no corrosion i can see, but everythings a bit stiff, lots of wear and finish missing, grips are ok no cracks, rear lever works, toggle, side catch is stiff, trigger not moving but dont want to break anything, looking at selling as a project, or why, any idea of prices these go for? thanks serial number includes 54 so assume 1954? best place to sell?

the gun has cast into it P22, but looks like a capital G is stamped in front of the P22, might have a bearing on it value.
    I have had 4 pass through my hands and they were all £275. Great shooters, powerful and accurate. Have you pushed the safety across sideways ?

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Marauding hyenas

Marauding hyena alert! Never an inspector around when you need one😜
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

GP22 schimel, valuation

Better the hyenas now than the vultures when i'm dead!, i can control the hyenas atmo.

Better the hyenas now than the vultures when i'm dead!, i can control the hyenas atmo.
    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
    ok, I admit it, I've got a problem.
    [url]http://www.rivington-riflemen.uk/[url]

I have sets of new seals for these I bought from the U.S.A. also the new grips they produced. You never answered if you checked the safety bolt, if this is accidently moved slightly the trigger will feel jammed.

Baz

[IMG][/IMG]

The gun has cast into it P22, but looks like a capital G is stamped in front of the P22, might have a bearing on it value.
    Hi,

All the Schimel pistols I have seen are pre-fixed GP (22) meaning they were gas powered, although there is evidence that an air powered variant was planned to be pre-fixed AP (22). I am not aware of any actual examples of this variant and can't really see how the design could be adapted efficiently to use air power.

You are right to be careful not to put any unnecessary strain on the cocking lever or delicate curly trigger as these two components aren't too robust.

Lovely pistols though which always go off with a satisfying crack adding to the enjoyment of shooting them.

I believe I paid £300 for this nice boxed and fully functional example a few years ago.

Regards
    Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 13-01-2018 at 03:02 PM.

GP22 schimel, valuation

The safety is a pig to slide very stiff, and doesnt make any difference to the trigger, which i'm sure used to move, sounds weird but following several major things happening over the last 18 months, i have no energy to repair or keep things that no longer inspire me, my umarex pistols and a few more have been culled, unfortunately the schimel is on the hit list, i want to treat myself to a new rifle so my selling off alot of stuff helps fund my new rifle and do maintenance on the house. and i gain space. ps, mines got the shiny original grips

The safety is a pig to slide very stiff, and doesnt make any difference to the trigger, which i'm sure used to move, sounds weird but following several major things happening over the last 18 months, i have no energy to repair or keep things that no longer inspire me, my umarex pistols and a few more have been culled, unfortunately the schimel is on the hit list, i want to treat myself to a new rifle so my selling off alot of stuff helps fund my new rifle and do maintenance on the house. and i gain space. ps, mines got the shiny original grips
    Forgive me if I’m wrong, but the part that you describe as very stiff to slide sounds to me like you are talking about the cocking slide, just below the breech on the right of the pistol when pointed forward, the safety is the little button above the front of the trigger guard which moves right to left for fire and left to right for safe, I always advise users to be careful if using the safety button, because if you should put too much pressure on the trigger when it is safe you could break the trigger, it is very fragile.

Cheers Lawrie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrie Amatruda View Post
    Forgive me if I’m wrong, but the part that you describe as very stiff to slide sounds to me like you are talking about the cocking slide, just below the breech on the right of the pistol when pointed forward, the safety is the little button above the front of the trigger guard which moves right to left for fire and left to right for safe, I always advise users to be careful if using the safety button, because if you should put too much pressure on the trigger when it is safe you could break the trigger, it is very fragile.

Cheers Lawrie.
    hi, yes you are right, its the cocking slide that is stiff, as you said the trigger looks fragile, but it does seem to be locked up, as said i'm sure it used to move freely,

its strange due to life changes and may be a different view of life, i have/had too much stuff i do nothing with, so its time to say goodbye to quite alot of it, hence the valuation.

hi, yes you are right, its the cocking slide that is stiff, as you said the trigger looks fragile, but it does seem to be locked up, as said i'm sure it used to move freely,

its strange due to life changes and may be a different view of life, i have/had too much stuff i do nothing with, so its time to say goodbye to quite alot of it, hence the valuation.
    I had a Schimel where the cocking slide was stiff. It was cause by the edge of an O ring poking through.The rubber O ring was interfering with slide action of the cocking button. It is unusual for the trigger to be solid, this only happens when the safety has been pushed across from right to left, blocking its movement. Even if the little trigger spring gets dislodged it still will move a little. Trigger very easy to remove and check condition underneath. (See safety blocking..)

[IMG][/IMG]

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 14-01-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Schimel paper

See the flickr album for all of the Schimel/American Luger/Carbo Jet paper that's in the collection. https://flic.kr/s/aHsm2675Co

Here's probably the rarest of the rare, in regards to Schimel paper. Although no known examples have ever appeared, the introduction flyer does exist.

schimel002 by Dean Fletcher - Photographer - Portland, on Flickr

Its a pity the schimel website seems to be shut down, the family in California were making a good effort of supplying parts, and a very nice booklet of the history. In UK we have Lawrie Amatruda who has worked on over 100 of these and knows about the four variations on the valve unit. Would love to see these produced again using new technology and materials available today. The method of releasing the CO2 without the standard type valves on firing gives a satisfying crack, producing good power.

Baz