Thread: Excellent piece on stock finishing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    i have used refined danish oil, you can get it from b&q with a stain in it already, i re done a bsa meteor stock looked fab when finished, but give it time to dry before you buff it up with very fine wire wool, then apply your last coat , how many coats is determined by how dark you want the finish to be ,
    muzzy

Quote Originally Posted by muzzy01 View Post
    i have used refined danish oil, you can get it from b&q with a stain in it already, i re done a bsa meteor stock looked fab when finished, but give it time to dry before you buff it up with very fine wire wool, then apply your last coat , how many coats is determined by how dark you want the finish to be ,
    muzzy
    I have done a couple of Beech stocks with black stain added to Danish Oil,both Rustins products. This picked out the fine grain.
    The first coat of danish oil was thinned with white spirit applied then wiped off
    The raised grain was taken down with a green scouring pad until it was as smooth as glass then three coats of danish oil applied with twenty four hours between coats.
    I used Danish oil on all my walnut stocks as it gives a hardwearing finish that is easy to repair
    You don't know what you've got till it's gone