Thread: Eye test for shooters.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I am clearly made of ‘different stuff’.

Personally I’d make the effort to travel to somebody that knows about shooting needs, rather than ‘cheep out’ and go local and make up the difference in lost knowledge by asking a forum.

But each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunbeam View Post
    I am clearly made of ‘different stuff’.

Personally I’d make the effort to travel to somebody that knows about shooting needs, rather than ‘cheep out’ and go local and make up the difference in lost knowledge by asking a forum.

But each to their own.
    As a full time carer for a 91 year old who had a stroke, taking a full day out to travel for an eye test is out of the question for me.
    Clearly, you are made of "different stuff", although I am not sure what it is.
    What is clear though, from reading many of your posts, is that you have an ENORMOUS chip on your shoulder.
    Thanks for your input.

Chris
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..

Sir Swamp
    You need a prescription to allow you to focus on the front sight so it is as clear as possible (when in the normal shooting position).
    This will tend to end up about +.50 or + .75 on your distance prescription.
    My local Specsavers have made mine no problem.
    Evo 10 Compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_SwampThing View Post
    As a full time carer for a 91 year old who had a stroke, taking a full day out to travel for an eye test is out of the question for me.
    Clearly, you are made of "different stuff", although I am not sure what it is.
    What is clear though, from reading many of your posts, is that you have an ENORMOUS chip on your shoulder.
    Thanks for your input.

Chris
    Yes, you are 100% correct, I have been told that many many times during my lifetime. The 'stuff' you are trying to identify is BS, that is what I'm made of

Just remember, I was only trying to help you and pointed out exactly where a top optician is that can 100% help you, and he is not expensive and in the grand scale of things, not too far away.

I hope you find the information you need on the net and a local optician you are happy with.

Rob

Your response to this, changing your avatar and the current thread asking how you can change your username, suggest that you are somewhere on the spectrum. If that is the case, then clearly you cannot help but react inappropriately, so no offence taken.
    However, if you are just being a cock... Crack on

Cheers
    Chris
    BSA Ultra Multi .22 ( Falcon Merlin 10x42T, `Tweaky` reg, HW mod, Cobra Merlin+Dipol L3 ), Skan M32 .177 (3-12x44 mini SWAT), Alros Trailsman .177 (Simmons WTC 1.5-5x20 , `Tweaky` reg ), Steyr Evo 10e and a Daystate Pulsar. 177..

Every forum I've ever been on goes this way, and clubs as well.
    I am not a people person, I don't do forums or clubs very well.
    I only ever try and help people, but more than often that help is taken the wrong way, most likely because of my delivery style.
    I am 100% honest and well meaning and try and help everybody to the best of my ability.
    I have never been accused of being 'on the spectrum', that is a first, but I guess it fits.
    Changing my avatar just gives people a warning as to what I'm like.

Just remember, so far you have called me :-
    "Chip on my shoulder"
    "on the spectrum"
    "cock"

I on the other hand, I have just offered you advice to your original question. It is you that is name calling. It is not my fault your personal life is tied up 7 days a week caring for somebody. I still say you would be better travelling to a known optician for the best result, eyes are a tricky thing and you are better off doing the best you can in that department.

Just my opinion, and sorry for any offence given as none is meant.

Rancidtom is spot on.
    There are no magic numbers as we are all different - up to a point, also second taking a target with you and making sure it fuzzes out a bit and the front sight sharp and rear sight a bit fuzzy, opticians can take an experienced guess at the numbers but you need to confirm it by waggling the pistol at the end of your arm and using relaxed eye muscles to view the picture. All my lenses over the last four years have been so, so until I actually confirmed it by using the pistol. Also make sure that if you use dedicated shooting frames for the new lens make sure the thing is adjusted to place the new lens the normal distance from the eye like ordinary glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by thirdwheel View Post
    Rancidtom is spot on.
    Also make sure that if you use dedicated shooting frames for the new lens make sure the thing is adjusted to place the new lens the normal distance from the eye like ordinary glasses.

Here's an interesting article concerning "vertex" distance. This is the distance between the eye and the back of the lens - in my experience shooting glasses tend to position the lens quite well away from the eye.

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/nra/.../index.php#/16