Thread: AirGun World memorabilia

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I also much prefered the old Airgun Worlds but would go even further back than the 90s. The qaint hunting articles with simpler guns was a real joy and very little PC around to blight things. Heck, how i hate PC.
    I agree with Terry that the modern version is very high quality, with much better photography. I also noticed recently that the mass of advertising that blighted the late 90s magazines has been reduced back to virtually nothing. That has to be creditted.
    I just opened an early 2000 edition here, with no less than 18 pages of adverts in it. It was the the point where i stopped my purchase, prefering to hand select an article in Smiths.
    The magazine does look to be in a lot better shape now and i made purchases of both the Dec and Jan editions for reading over the xmas period.
    I think there is possibly room for 2 very different mags really.
    The magazine from around 2000 has had a greater emphassis on high end tackle and field target stuff. The equipment is super good for this type of shooting but if your not into being strapped into a gizmo with a 2ft scope on board (complete with shooting cushion) it might not be your bag. Thus a magazine with this emphassis for those who enjoy that but one for classic Springers and pistols, with simple hunting articles.

Its interesting that we have lost sight of the old classic, sleek sporters with a simple 4x32 or 40 scope which everyone loved but all fell into the trend for gigantic stocked strap ons with wind detectors and anodized blue paint jobs. What real field shooting is all about is classic simple lines and ease of carry just like sleek full bore firearms. or fine shotguns which never followed the gawky trend of the Airgun industry just to put the cheeks closer to the scope. It looks like im right too, with the latest Daystate sporter leading the field, everybody picking the thing up in Sportings guns yesterday, loving the simple sleek lines.
    You can raise your head a little on the cheek piece and have a gun with beautiful lines, just like what full bore shooters have done for 100 years!
    Just a thought for the manufacturers there.
    Last edited by clarky; 30-12-2012 at 03:33 PM.