Thread: Just in a 1920 BSA Light with 21b three position aperature sight

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I guess if you look at the sight you could extrapolate how deep the recess into the stock should be by the yard markings on the sight? I’m zeroed and am probably over a 1/8 inch below the 10 yard mark? Not a exact science but you have to assume the factory had specs. for depth for a factory install? The detail and quality of these little sights is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I guess if you look at the sight you could extrapolate how deep the recess into the stock should be by the yard markings on the sight? I’m zeroed and am probably over a 1/8 inch below the 10 yard mark? Not a exact science but you have to assume the factory had specs. for depth for a factory install? The detail and quality of these little sights is pretty cool.

Looks like it’s set on it’s lowest setting? so if you can wind the sightplate up to 25yds you should be able to lower the base plate by a similar amount.

Personally I’d zero it to be bang on for 15-20 yds, then if you have any upward adjustment left on the sightplate you can lower the base plate by recessing into the stock by that amount.

A 15-20yd zero should set it up so you aim under the target at 10, straight on at 15-25 and slightly higher 30-35yds.

Cheers,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ptdunk View Post
    Looks like it’s set on it’s lowest setting? so if you can wind the sightplate up to 25yds you should be able to lower the base plate by a similar amount.

Personally I’d zero it to be bang on for 15-20 yds, then if you have any upward adjustment left on the sightplate you can lower the base plate by recessing into the stock by that amount.

A 15-20yd zero should set it up so you aim under the target at 10, straight on at 15-25 and slightly higher 30-35yds.

Cheers,
    Matt
    I think your rifle was the perfect solution not sure I have guts enough to do it.

Hi Steve what a beautiful rifle. Great find. Enjoy. Cheers, Louis

I think your rifle was the perfect solution not sure I have guts enough to do it.
    I bought my light pattern quite cheaply specifically To fit that rearsight so wasn’t a huge risk.

Yours is in fantastic condition so I can understand your reluctance to start cutting up the stock.

Cheers,
    Matt

After a week these Lights are a wonderful rifle. Such a lighter feel from my standard and very accurate. Just started to add a 40 yard target to my backyard range. Hit that 2 inch plate on the second try, I could barely see it! I can see why these rifles still have a following today, just a functional grace to them and tap loading will always be my favorite. The design of the 21b allowed me to flip through the aperature sizes while aiming with a flip of the thumb for quick comparisons. Pretty unique.

After a week these Lights are a wonderful rifle. Such a lighter feel from my standard and very accurate. Just started to add a 40 yard target to my backyard range. Hit that 2 inch plate on the second try, I could barely see it! I can see why these rifles still have a following today, just a functional grace to them and tap loading will always be my favorite. The design of the 21b allowed me to flip through the aperature sizes while aiming with a flip of the thumb for quick comparisons. Pretty unique.

The condition of the gun suggests the tap seals as well as it would have done when new?Have you chronographed its power output at the muzzle?

Quote Originally Posted by mrto View Post
    The condition of the gun suggests the tap seals as well as it would have done when new?Have you chronographed its power output at the muzzle?
    I like to Chrony with Hobby’s given they are 7 gr. and most people have these. I only had 4 left and they were graying a bit, so this morning here are the results.

I have shot it for two days now so I’m sure the excess oil is gone. My impressions are this rifle is not easy to cock. It’s not as bad as my Webley Mk3 but not as easy as my BSA Standard or Diana 58. The shorter cocking lever may be part of it. But spring seems stout. This rifle also has some recoil, it is light and I’m sure that is part of it. Still very accurate with artillery hold. Hit 2 inch metal target at 40 yards. Given the condition of the rifle this may be close to original performance but that spring is 100 years old? Be interested in others as to their FPS with these.
    Last edited by 45flint; 14-07-2020 at 12:20 PM.