Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hunting rabbit tips please

hunting rabbit tips please

Hi everyone went hunting rabbits tonight at about 6pm and seen a few but too far away has anyone got experience in hunting them and give me a few tips like am I best waiting in one spot and just waiting or have a walk around looking ? And any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

When they run to the hedge I find they nearly always stop for one last look. This is where I have shot most of my rabbits; don't take your eye off them.

Tips.
    1) take bino's. You will see much more quarry.
    2) check which way wind is blowing and walk into it.
    3) move a little look a lot, in all directions. Even where you've just been.
    4) don't be afraid to crawl.
    5) TAKE YOUR TIME!!! and enjoy your surroundings.
    6) move slowly, VERY SLOWLY.
    7) of you see a rabbit too far away only move when it's feeding.
    8) use ALL cover. (Don't forget shadow is your friend.
    9) in hunting time does not exist. As long as it takes to crawl 30yds to get bunny in range.
    10) head shots only at the base of the ear.
    11) if using lamp, sweep from hedge out into the field. (Rabbits are often reluctant to cross lit areas.
    12) take phone incase of emergency.
    13) take a good torch incase of dropped mag. Etc.
    14) ENJOY YOURSELF. I hope you get a good bag.

Sorry if some points seem condescending it's not my intention. I just saw you are relatively new to the forum.
    I hope some of them help.

ATB. Hal.

It would take pages to fully explain but in short,
    you need good camo, inc face & hands,
    always approach with the breeze in your face so they cannot smell you,
    do not smoke, wear aftershave & avoid any thing else that smells foreign to nature,
    Move slowly, like a minute to do 10yds slowly, & creep with gentle foot fall or they will feel your footsteps,
    Move along hedgerows & if necessary drop to all fours to avoid silhouetting yourself,
    Keep silent.

but sometimes nothing works.

If you can, have a look during daytime and find out where the warren is and the most used paths in and out of it. When you turn up to shoot try to get there before the bunnies start moving out and get yourself well hidden about 30 yards or so downwind of the likely looking spots and just wait for them to come out. Try to give them time to get a few yards from cover and it can pay you not to shoot at the first one you, as they seem to send the smallest ones out first to check things out.
    You should be able to get a couple at least, while you get the hang of it.

It works for me anyway(sometimes)
    TX200 Mk3 Pink Calibre, HW99s Blue Calibre
    Huntsman MK1 Pink calibre, AAS200 Pink Calibre

Oh yeah, forgot about being quiet. Even knocking the safety catch off can be enough to send them running some evenings.

You shouldn't go wrong if you follow Hal and angry bears advice, they're probably more experienced than me.
    TX200 Mk3 Pink Calibre, HW99s Blue Calibre
    Huntsman MK1 Pink calibre, AAS200 Pink Calibre

That has helped alot I didnt even think about being down wind. I went to a spot were they use as cut through to neighbours field and didnt see one looked down about 50 yards and seen a few I didnt move for hour thinking they would venture up but no. So took walk down to were I seen them keeping low nothing. Looked back to were I was originally and there they are :-( tryed crawling back time I got there they wondered off

Yesterday evening, I walked to a spot along a hedge row where I could see rabbits. They all scampered in.

I sat with my back to the fence line, lit my pipe stoked up my hexy stove and brewed some fresh coffee

Within half an hour I had shot seven rabbits Longest shot about 40 yrds.

I wore tatty old jeans & and old faded dpm jacket.

Sit still in one place & wait patiently and they will present themselves.

Waylander

Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    Yesterday evening, I walked to a spot along a hedge row where I could see rabbits. They all scampered in.

I sat with my back to the fence line, lit my pipe stoked up my hexy stove and brewed some fresh coffee

Within half an hour I had shot seven rabbits Longest shot about 40 yrds.

I wore tatty old jeans & and old faded dpm jacket.

Sit still in one place & wait patiently and they will present themselves.

Waylander
    I think it was bad night for us we even went in barns were long tails have been spoted in there numbers, we didnt see 1

Quote Originally Posted by robert watson View Post
    I think it was bad night for us we even went in barns were long tails have been spoted in there numbers, we didnt see 1
    Constantly moving about, pushed your prey away. Sit still, let everything calm down & they will come back out when they assume it is safe to do so.

Keep moving, especially in pairs, where the temptation to converse it ever present, and more often than not, you go home with an empty game bag.

Waylander

Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    Constantly moving about, pushed your prey away. Sit still, let everything calm down & they will come back out when they assume it is safe to do so.

Keep moving, especially in pairs, where the temptation to converse it ever present, and more often than not, you go home with an empty game bag.

Waylander
    Nail on the head

I forgot to mention the faithful ambush.

I went out on Thursday afternoon and bagged five large rabbits on my new permission just by standing next to a tree in my ghilly suit with my Rapid. Closest shot 41 extended paces furthest was 57yds (I remembered to pick up my range finder) before I get told off about "max ethical ranges" the Rapid I was using is running at 32ftlb in .22.

When ambushing quarry I always use a leaf/ghilly suit as they tend to allow you to get away with a touch more movement. It's only an issue in the field I was shooting the other day as it is overrun with rabbits on every side and I was using a single tree in the middle as cover.
    Like Waylers said sit down, shut up, enjoy the bird song and look up occasionally and shoot any bunnies that have come out to play.

ATB. Hal.

I like to find a spot sit get into an aim position with my arms crossed resting on my knees, take a power nap resting my head on the cheek piece with my hood over my face for 25mins.., then when I wake I look down the scope & there they are!!

Let em come to you
    "corners should be round" Theo Evo .22/.177 - Meopta 6x42, DS huntsman classic .20 vortex razor LH 3-15x42 under supervised boingrati tuning by Tony L & Tinbum, HW77 forest green - Nikon prostaff 2-7x32 plex.

As already said.sit and wait.

I do what waylander does.i turn up,sit with my back to the dry stone wall,pour a coffee from the flask,light a cigarette,enjoying the relaxation and time out from everyday life and wait for them to appear.[they usually do and when you get to know your shoot you will know where to expect to see some]

I sit with gun across my knees,safety off,ready to pick them off.i don't bother with camo these days.no real need tbh.they will sit long enough for you to get a shot away.

I went back to springers years ago as I was shooting so many this way with silenced pcp that I never got to finish my coffee and smoke lol

stalking rabbits,crawling on your belly,back hunched over to keep below the walls,hedgerows etc is fine if that's your thing but will be less productive and not so relaxing and often frustrating!

best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by haloutdoors View Post
    I forgot to mention the faithful ambush.

I went out on Thursday afternoon and bagged five large rabbits on my new permission just by standing next to a tree in my ghilly suit with my Rapid. Closest shot 41 extended paces furthest was 57yds (I remembered to pick up my range finder) before I get told off about "max ethical ranges" the Rapid I was using is running at 32ftlb in .22.

When ambushing quarry I always use a leaf/ghilly suit as they tend to allow you to get away with a touch more movement. It's only an issue in the field I was shooting the other day as it is overrun with rabbits on every side and I was using a single tree in the middle as cover.
    Like Waylers said sit down, shut up, enjoy the bird song and look up occasionally and shoot any bunnies that have come out to play.

ATB. Hal.
    Nice 1 whats max range for a 32ft .22 rifle?