Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chronograph advice

Chronograph advice

Hi all, I recently purchased a crony F1 not realising you need to spend another hundred pounds on the lights! Bit of a scam really, i’ve adapted some myself but it’s really hit and miss and it’s driving me mad the thing is going to go in the bin soon,piece of crap!
    What I’m looking for is a recommendation for a chrony that will work indoors and outdoors I’m not fussed about the cost I just want the bloody thing to work 😡

A Combro has served me well for the last 4yrs 👍

I've used it on PCPs, Springers and Co2 rifles indoors and outdoors.

And, I've never shot it

All of the above.

Fleabay item 173837049104

The above work surprisingly well...
    Last edited by Frog; 13-10-2019 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    https://www./itm/Shooting-Speed-Test...sAAOSwWzddEydC

The above work surprisingly well...
    Just a pity your link does not work so well though. Eblag links are prohibited on here

Eblag item number 173837103836

What about the FX Radar one, not tried it myself, but look ok.
    "I'm an enormously talented man, and there's no use pretending that I'm not.."

There are a few that will work indoors but if you want the best then go for a Skan...never been bettered...in my humble opinion...

FX pocket chronograph

Phil Price did a review in the September edition of Airgun world .

I have had my chrony f1 for over ten years and it's been pretty reliable , though I only use it out doors .

I like to be able to check to velocity down range at various distances and some of the others are hard to shoot through
    and I know as I have shot one .

I adapted some inexpensive LED strip lighting on the Chrony - and it seems to work fine. You can get an entire 5M roll of the stuff for about £6 delivered - or look at eblag 262453353235 for pre-wired - get two of these in white and 30cm in length - and affix them to the diffusers of the Chrony. They are 12v - but a 9v battery seems to drive them adequately.

Another vote for the Skan unit. Works perfectly indoors in any light.
    Cheers, Phil

Quote Originally Posted by bu dave View Post
    Hi all, I recently purchased a crony F1 not realising you need to spend another hundred pounds on the lights! Bit of a scam really, i’ve adapted some myself but it’s really hit and miss and it’s driving me mad the thing is going to go in the bin soon,piece of crap!
    What I’m looking for is a recommendation for a chrony that will work indoors and outdoors I’m not fussed about the cost I just want the bloody thing to work 😡
    You don't need to spend £100 on lights

Outdoors doesn't need lights, indoors you need to remove the flicker caused by the 50htz AC supply so a dc light or LED's are the answer.

They detect the shadow as the pellet passes over head, so anything causing a flicker/change will bugger up what they see, as well as AC electrics, moving shadows from trees is a good one as is the angle of the sun being too low.

LMBR is the one you need. About £150 last time I looked from Ramsbottoms and I think Blackpool Air Rifles sell them too.
    It tells you everything you need to know and works in all light conditions. Check them out.
    Giles (yes that one) did a review on The Airgun Gear Show. I saw the review and bought one. They really are a very good piece of kit.

I use one of these Fleabay item 383197960495 (push button LED lights) on each of the sun shades on the Crony when indoors. I position them pointing down from the sunshade towards the sensors. I hold them on with rare earth magnets (Neodynium) so I can add or remove them easily. The lights are a quid for two in poundland and sort the problem.
    Last edited by Frog; 14-10-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonjon79 View Post
    A Combro has served me well for the last 4yrs 👍

I've used it on PCPs, Springers and Co2 rifles indoors and outdoors.

And, I've never shot it
    Don't know why anyone bothers with anything else, does pretty much anything the average shooter can want and if you do shoot it (don't ask) the repair service is cheap and brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernal View Post
    Don't know why anyone bothers with anything else, does pretty much anything the average shooter can want and if you do shoot it (don't ask) the repair service is cheap and brilliant.
    Only thing is you have to be a good shot to get a velocity at say, 20m, down range using a combro...

They are also difficult to use on some guns with odd shaped muzzles (my HW77 being one!)

The easiest to use chrono I have used is my little chinese one - works first time every time...

£16 off (shooting speed tester) another airgun forum states they are pretty good when findings are compared agains't more well known and expensive chrono's.