Thread: HW45 Mini Carbine Ideas? Shoulder Stock - Longer Barrel etc

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post

Out of interest is yours setup with the irons with the shoulder stock if so I’m assuming you have the front sight riser?

Yes, and yes
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Yes, and yes
    Thanks and thanks

I've done a few over the years, including with the original shoulder stock and front sight riser.
    I've also put red dots and scopes on and silencers.
    The result was always disappointing and I ended up converting them back to pistols.
    Have a go and see what you think, but I advise not doing anything you can't undo....

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    I've done a few over the years, including with the original shoulder stock and front sight riser.
    I've also put red dots and scopes on and silencers.
    The result was always disappointing and I ended up converting them back to pistols.
    Have a go and see what you think, but I advise not doing anything you can't undo....
    Thanks for the reply Bob

That’s a shame it didn’t work out for you, anything specifically you was disappointed with?

As my 45 is a quite tidy golden oldie (late 80’s) I certainly wouldn’t want to make any modifications irreversible.

I think my main thoughts are to try it with a shoulder stock first but finding one is already becoming a headache 😬

I am still enjoying the one you sold to me at the end of 2021.

The carbine thing is something I keep mulling over, I picked up an adapter plate/bracket a while ago that is fitted under one of the grips, it is about 3mm thick so presumably will need longer screws, still need to decide how to make use of of it. It is a copy of the bracket that can be seen in this thread:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....eihrauch-hw45/

I also have a pair of the Eagle Vision Vision 13mm to Weaver adapters and a 1911 trigger guard clamp-on Weaver adapter. Don't know if or how I will use any of them though - yet!

Maybe all the adapters for conversion is sending me a message that it is a PISTOL!

The thing about the longer barrel may be an issue because of the size of the hole at the muzzle end of the top/slide being quite small, around 8mm I think, unless you are prepared to make a permanent change by drilling it out so you don't end up with a weedy 'straw' sticking out of the front...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Modski66 View Post
    I am still enjoying the one you sold to me at the end of 2021.

The carbine thing is something I keep mulling over, I picked up an adapter plate/bracket a while ago that is fitted under one of the grips, it is about 3mm thick so presumably will need longer screws, still need to decide how to make use of of it. It is a copy of the bracket that can be seen in this thread:

https://forum.vintageairgunsgallery....eihrauch-hw45/

I also have a pair of the Eagle Vision Vision 13mm to Weaver adapters and a 1911 trigger guard clamp-on Weaver adapter. Don't know if or how I will use any of them though - yet!

Maybe all the adapters for conversion is sending me a message that it is a PISTOL!

The thing about the longer barrel may be an issue because of the size of the hole at the muzzle end of the top/slide being quite small, around 8mm I think, unless you are prepared to make a permanent change by drilling it out so you don't end up with a weedy 'straw' sticking out of the front...
    Crikey where does the time go eh?

I vaguely remember that one from end of 2021 was that the one I got a brand spanking new barrel for it from Solware? Think you also bought some tasty grips for it a few weeks after glad you are still enjoying it Mark

Must confess I haven’t had as much fun for ages in my garage range with my latest 45 as they just seem perfect for what I need and it’s such a joy to shoot especially being fettled

I’d still like to try the 45 with a shoulder stock or aim brace type setup one day exactly as you mentioned and linked but I’m possibly more convinced that I really need that Buccaneer for those thrills maybe it’s best to just leave the 45 as it is.

meh it’s a damn good excuse to add another to the arsenal instead eh

I seem to be going back down the pistol route again and boy I’ve had some nice pistols over the years but also there’s many other pistols I’ve yet to experience which has the old cogs churning.

Regards the barrel yeah point noted and I certainly wouldn’t want to modify the old girl permanently so if it ever went longer barrel I’m sure I’d come up with something aesthetically pleasing to slip over and beef up any weediness

You are right about those nice grips, they do set it off nicely, a bit more in proportion IMHO.

I have also fitted an Aussie seal and some Delrin TbT 'style' guides, polished the spring ends, re-lubed etc. With the 0.177 barrel I am getting around 5.3 ftlbs, but in the last few days have picked up a 0.22 barrel which is running at 5.7 ftlbs with 12.81gr H&N Excite plinking pellets. Not had an opportunity to try it for accuracy at any distance yet, but it is never going to be a target pistol!

Thanks to your efforts at getting the stupid Weihrauch M3 barrel screws out I can easily swap calibres, so much as I like it, I don't think I need to keep my Original 0.22 5G now. It is more nicely made than the HW45, but is bigger and less versatile, and the 45 is almost as powerful on half-cock. If only the POI was the same for both power settings, I would probably make more use of the feature...
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by oldskoolzzz View Post
    Thanks for the reply Bob

That’s a shame it didn’t work out for you, anything specifically you was disappointed with?

As my 45 is a quite tidy golden oldie (late 80’s) I certainly wouldn’t want to make any modifications irreversible.

I think my main thoughts are to try it with a shoulder stock first but finding one is already becoming a headache 😬
    It just wasn't very nice to shoot and not very accurate either.
    I can shoot an HW45 very well, but with the stock I actually found it less accurate!
    I guess there's a lot of recoil and it needs to go somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by colin g View Post
    I dont have any more pics at all buddy, They where on my last laptop that died. Lost a lot of memorable pics when that one went.
    I Should really learn to back things up in my old age but have never manage to. Col.
    Bugger

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Just need to find it first!

I bought the pistol from Vanderburgers in Bexhill and then my local RFD, sadly now closed obtained the last stock from Hull Cartridge, so I was lucky to get it.

I used to enjoy visiting Vanderburgers when they were in Tooting and less often when the shop moved to Bexhill as it was a longer journey. Still, it was a great excuse to visit the coast.
    You sound like another one related to Tony L

Quote Originally Posted by Biker_Bob View Post
    It just wasn't very nice to shoot and not very accurate either.
    I can shoot an HW45 very well, but with the stock I actually found it less accurate!
    I guess there's a lot of recoil and it needs to go somewhere.
    That’s just made me even more curious to trying out the stock route now 🤔

Just received a nice confirmation email from Weihrauch today stating my HW45 was delivered in 1988

Therefore I could not bring myself to do anything irreversible regards modifications on this old classic.

[QUOTE=oldskoolzzz;8248980]Bugger

You sound like another one related to Tony L

LOL!!
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.