Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Webley Disease....Highly contagious

Webley Disease....Highly contagious

Having quite liked the look and size of the Webley pistols and having fond memories of my Tempest when I was younger I picked up a lovely MK1 Steel Premier in .22, boxed with paperwork and a tin of original pellets, Such a nicely engineered pistol, compact, little recoil good quality materials. but that's the problem, I now want another in .177, and maybe a less pristine example as a regular user, A senior would be nice also with slant grips although a wood gripped straight version would look good, but then there's the Mark 1, and case options, I'd need to get an oil bottle to go with them....wtf I don't even like Webley's, I like BSA's & Walther's but there is something endearing about the Webley pistol's that means I WILL be buying more and can't wait for March so I can go off to Kempton with a long list of things I MUST have, It would appear that addiction is a problem with certain gun's & once you've had that first hit there is no going back
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Quote Originally Posted by nige346 View Post
    Having quite liked the look and size of the Webley pistols and having fond memories of my Tempest when I was younger I picked up a lovely MK1 Steel Premier in .22, boxed with paperwork and a tin of original pellets, Such a nicely engineered pistol, compact, little recoil good quality materials. but that's the problem, I now want another in .177, and maybe a less pristine example as a regular user, A senior would be nice also with slant grips although a wood gripped straight version would look good, but then there's the Mark 1, and case options, I'd need to get an oil bottle to go with them....wtf I don't even like Webley's, I like BSA's & Walther's but there is something endearing about the Webley pistol's that means I WILL be buying more and can't wait for March so I can go off to Kempton with a long list of things I MUST have, It would appear that addiction is a problem with certain gun's & once you've had that first hit there is no going back
    I feel you’re pain! Lol

pjbingham is offline My mother was flexible,but couldn't do Thursdays
    It’s a very real affliction! Mine started many years ago when I wanted a Webley Tempest more than I wanted my next breath. I would have been around 13 and I had been to the gun shop in town with my Dad and peered through the glass at the Webley pistol range on display on their Perspex stands. I asked for a Tempest for Xmas and even put money towards it and quite happily agreed it would be my only present. Xmas morning came and there were about 4 presents sat there. The first 3 contained the usual pants/socks etc but the last one.....that last one was just the right weight. A little long perhaps but I figured it was just packaging. Unwrapping it reavealed of all things an (El) Gamo Centre. Wtf I had never expressed any desire for one As a youngster in the 80’s an Air Pistol had to have a Webley badge or you weren’t cool. You also weren’t cool if you had a Webley Junior I remember. This was in the days where you took your air pistols out over the fields.....you can’t stuff a Gamo Centre in your pocket it’s massive (to a kid).
    I never did get the Tempest I yearned for,not until 20 years later till I bought one myself. 30 years later I’ve overindulged and have full blown Webley disease.

I'm sure that Dr IJ could help cure your Webley afflictions

I am completely immune from old Webley disease, even though they go through my hands every week. The only Webley that impresses me is the Webley Alecto/ Zoraki SSP pistol, now that can really perform !

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

As I have around seventeen over lever Webley pistols that must mean I have the affliction also!

To the OP, do not overlook the MK1 Junior's they are lovely compact and surprisingly punchy,beautifully made little pistols.

Like the MK2 Premier the MK2 Junior's can be ignored,though IMO.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    The only way to ease an affliction for the pistols is to allow an affliction for the rifles to creep in as well.
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....kII-Collection
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

Once contracted, there is no cure for the 'Webley Disease', you just have to buy another, and another, and another, ad infinitum, until you either run out of space or cash, whichever come first.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 09-01-2018 at 01:33 PM.

I'm in remission at the moment, but that doesn't mean I won't experience an a relapse at some time in the future.

If I had been looking for a spring powered air pistol that ticked all the boxes at any time during the period the Webley products were produced, it would have been am easy choice to make.

Out of interest, here is my top ten of the Webley air pistols based on appearance, functionality, accuracy and overall desirability.

The pre-war 'Straight Grip Senior' heads the list even though I find the 'Slant Grip' model easier to hold. Apart from better looks, it introduced the second cocking link to allow us mere mortals to cock it a bit more easily.

2. Pre -war 'Slant Grip' Senior.

3. Mk2 Target.

4. Premier (A or B) series.

5. Post war Senior.

6. Pre-war 'Straight Grip' Mk1

7.Post-war 'Slant Grip' Mk1

8. Pre-war Junior.

9. Post-war Junior.

10. Tempest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I'm sure that Dr IJ could help cure your Webley afflictions
    Some more uses for the Wobbly pistol.

Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Yes I have Webleys they are so well made it gets very infectious get one and you want another one mike

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Some more uses for the Wobbly pistol.

According to I.J, opinion is divided on the popularity of Webley air pistols, he thinks they are rubbish and everybody else thinks they are great!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    According to I.J, opinion is divided on the popularity of Webley air pistols, he thinks they are rubbish and everybody else thinks they are great!

Brian
    Not everybody hates them.

But then not everybodys shot one.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Not everybody hates them.

But then not everybodys shot one.
    Just wondering who might own the pistols in the pictures.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Just wondering who might own the pistols in the pictures.

Brian
    who know's, although I'd normally happily buy a used gun from I.J just to be certain I now know what not to buy from him, I'm not sure the "one careful owner" & "always carefully looked after" tag line's apply to Webley's ,lol
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more