Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: MTC Viper Connect

Its an amazing hunting scope and I love the ability to keep the ir set on a specific setting the only scope I've ever bothered using it with and starting to "see" the benefits.
    Steve

viper connect

just like to know if any of you shoot with glasses on,as i am thinking of getting one.dave

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by dave555 View Post
    just like to know if any of you shoot with glasses on,as i am thinking of getting one.dave

I often wear my glasses using the Connect, there is an eyepiece 'extender'(? ) that winds in and out, just keep it wound in when wearing glasses

I do too
    Cheers Lloyd

I bought the Connect shortly after it went on sale, it had the AMD ret. The first few times I used it I thought all my birthdays had arrived together, very impressed.

Then I took it out hunting & things weren't quite so good. The sight picture seemed over contrasted & harsh & there was a pronounced vignette effect around the perimiter of the glass.

I also found that I was constantly on the side focus which seemed overly critical of even a slight change in range. I honestly thought that the 'scope was faulty & returned it to MTC for checking. It came back with a clean bill of health, but to my eyes it was still as before so with some regret I sold it.

In hindsight, I probably wasn't using the scope correctly, but I also feel that the operating instructions could have been better, especially by showing a photo showing the correct positioning of eye to cup. Maybe that has since been improved.

Also, it isn't a particularily light scope at 23oz plus say 4oz for standard type rings.

Maybe I'll try one again, but with the SCB ret this time, mounted on BKL single rings on one of my light carbines....we'll see.

Thanks for looking

Ken
    Last edited by Kyoto; 14-12-2012 at 11:01 AM.

I've found almost the opposite. i've found it very forgiving on the parallax i set it to 30 yds when walking the fields and can shoot from 20-40 yds with it
    Cheers Lloyd

Hi bandit

I'm not doubting what you say, except that this is with your eyes & your scope. My experiences were as described, in fact I just visited the MTC site to check whether the Connect manual had been amended (it hadn't) I also read a review by Pete Moore in which he comments " you have to be spot on with the parallax adjuster to ensure a workable target focus"

As I said, it's perhaps time for me to revisit this wee 'scope, as it's probable that things have been improved with the design over the intervening years.

ATB

Ken

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    One of the things I didn't like about Connect was the lack of large wheel to adjust so I made a 'lever' which makes it much easier to adjust, not sure if it's needed on sub 12 air riffles but on my FAC rifle is invaluable due to the much greater range of ranges (that sounds odd).
    http://i652.photobucket.com/albums/u...nnect50yds.jpg

I'd just like to add, along with the increased dof & fov how good Ive found the IR. The illumination is so subtle, none of the over powering stuff that Ive seen before. I shot four crows last night between 5.15pm & 5.30pm as they were coming into roost, the first without IR & the other three with it. Very useful.
    I bought the scope primarily for HFT, & I am much happier with it as Ive found that the closer kill zones are not as blurred as My Mamba Lite.
    Might need to buy one for hunting too.
    Last edited by nick-nic; 03-03-2013 at 05:08 PM.

just bought one and stuck it on my hw100 , zeroed it in the back garden in the dark , will zero it properly tomorrow as I've got a hft comp.nothing like knowing your aimpoints
    RHINO GUIDED WALTHER LG400
    BASC HFT TEAM ENGLAND 2016 HAS BEEN
    www.tuggstatts.co.uk

Used it today in a hft comp.10x mag 25ydzero parallax 25yds .I have to say @10x mag the killzones were looking alot smaller than any of my other scopes at the same mag. I think I might up the mag to 12x.
    I will get my aimpoints worked out properly for both 10x and 12x and go from there.
    RHINO GUIDED WALTHER LG400
    BASC HFT TEAM ENGLAND 2016 HAS BEEN
    www.tuggstatts.co.uk

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tugg View Post
    Used it today in a hft comp.10x mag 25ydzero parallax 25yds .I have to say @10x mag the killzones were looking alot smaller than any of my other scopes at the same mag. I think I might up the mag to 12x.
    I will get my aimpoints worked out properly for both 10x and 12x and go from there.
    I thought this when I first pickeda connect up, it's an optical illusion.

The reticle has specific measurements relating to the kill size, you can check these back to back with the scope you are comparing against. eg the 4 points on the central cross (+ and - 0.5moa points)touch the edges of a 40mm disc at 40y. When you have got this setting matched on both scopes, you are then comparing like for like size.
    At this point, the target will still look smaller through the connect because you can see MUCH more scenery around the target. This gives the benefit of not having to look away from the scope for a final wind check before going for the shot.
    Think about it logically, If the sizes you are looking at were not right, the physics of the pellet drop would not match where they are supposed to be on the reticle.
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/
    Staffordshire Custom Rifles - Maverick & MTC Connect

"the 4 points on the central cross (+ and - 0.5moa points)touch the edges of a 40mm disc at 40y"
    Thanks for that useful tip Dave, any more

Thumbs up

er, yes - if the kill is smaller, it's further away.... or a smaller kill

same 4 points fill a 15mm kill at 16y (also coincides with my close range off crisp sight picture as a sanity check)

just a matter of a bit of rangetime and doing homework.
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/
    Staffordshire Custom Rifles - Maverick & MTC Connect

Thanks for that,more info for my little black book!