Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Acceptable grouping size

Quote Originally Posted by 22airshooter View Post
    I personally don't shoot sprinters too often
    When you do feel like shooting a sprinter, could I suggest you choose someone quite harmless, like Zola Budd? I certainly don't advise Oscar Pistorius as a suitable target as he's more than likely to return fire.

Cheers, Craig
    Put on heading 270, assume attack formation

The thing with these '45yrd' youtube vids, is that the 'yards' are usually paced out. 46 of my paces (not strides) equal roughly 35 proper yards. So unless these miracle YouTube groups are actually properly ranged, I take them with a pinch of salt

I'm always a bit amused about claims of pellet on pellet accuracy, or nonchalant talk of "clover leaf" groups at long range.

It's a bit like the bloke who claims he drank twenty pints last night.

There are people who are capable of this kind of consistent accuracy, but they are exceptions. Most of us have to be satisfied with more modest groups eg. 3/4" at thirty yards.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig-P View Post
    When you do feel like shooting a sprinter, could I suggest you choose someone quite harmless, like Zola Budd? I certainly don't advise Oscar Pistorius as a suitable target as he's more than likely to return fire.

Cheers, Craig

Although ironically, he might deserve shooting more than the petite barefoot Ms Budd. And she'd be harder to hit with a pellet gun, being small.

I was getting pellet on pellet at 50 yds then the bloody alarm went off and I woke up.
    Dave

I've had great fun and learnt a lot pushing the limits of my airguns on the shooting range, how else can you know your hunting limits ?
    I'm not a gifted marksman and use a bipod or bag to eliminate as much of me as I can, I have good quality guns, scopes and pellets straight from the tin, I measure my shooting ranges with a surveyors tape, and measure my group sizes from the center of the bulls eye. At the shooting range I usually warm up for a few mags before shooting groups, so this is not applicable to a hunting situation.
    Both my .177 PCP rifles shoot consistent 10 shot sub 1" at 55 yards but I have never got sub 1/2" groups.
    Both my .22 PCP carbines shoot consistent 5 shot sub 1" at 45 yards.
    My .177 Prosport sub 3/4" at 35 yards and XL Lightning .177 sub 3/4" at 30 yards both 5 shot groups.
    A better shot than me would easily be able to improve on these groups, especially the springer ones, but it has taken hours getting the right guns, scopes and especially testing pellets to achieve this, knowing your PCP power/shot curve, scope reticule and barrel cleaning schedule is critical. This forum and its members have saved me time and money with good advice, cheers lads ! If/When I start consistently cracking 5 shot sub 1/2" groups at these ranges I will be over the moon.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    All shots into a 5 pence piece at whatever distance out to 40 yards is an excellent group.

Unless you are shooting indoors, the wind will make things a bit meaningless past that with a sub 12 airgun.

Quote Originally Posted by bozzer View Post
    For new readers ... that's frowned upon by the police and will definitely get your gun tested.
    ...but if they are fast enough, wouldn't that spread the group......

OK, I'm going now

Adrian
    My wife DOES know how much my rifle cost - she bought it for me! Blaser R8 Success Mono LH with .22lr. .204 Ruger, 6.5 x 55 and .308

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I paced out 43 yards with a mate and then stacked three pellets on him. It was a bit difficult getting him to stand still during the stacking, but I did it. We aren't friends any more though, and I don't recommend it as I have to go shooting on my own now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    I paced out 43 yards with a mate and then stacked three pellets on him. It was a bit difficult getting him to stand still during the stacking, but I did it. We aren't friends any more though, and I don't recommend it as I have to go shooting on my own now.
    Brilliant

All this talk of pellet on pellet and clover-leafing is doing my cuckoo.

Clearly, it all depends on the size of pellet.

i.e. If my pellets were the size of dustbins, I would say I can do a 10 shot one-hole group. Because they're all touching.

That group could conceivably be nearly 10 dustbins across, but if the shots are all touching, its a one-hole group.

No wonder those .303" Daystates are flying off the shelves.

Like did Rose Kennedy have a black dress??

Bullshitters.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    All this talk of pellet on pellet and clover-leafing is doing my cuckoo.

Clearly, it all depends on the size of pellet.

i.e. If my pellets were the size of dustbins, I would say I can do a 10 shot one-hole group. Because they're all touching.

That group could conceivably be nearly 10 dustbins across, but if the shots are all touching, its a one-hole group.

No wonder those .303" Daystates are flying off the shelves.

Like did Rose Kennedy have a black dress??

Bullshitters.
    I think we've walked this path many times on here. When challenged to prove the claims of consistant awesome grouping none have picked up the gauntlet. I remember myself and Charlts having a discussion with one particular chap who was making world class claims of rifle consistancy and group sizes. When challenged to pop along to the greyhound shooting club, have all expenses covered and if proved right 1000 pounds would be given to a charity of his choice......guess what, despite saying he was coming he didn't appear on the appointed day. Wanger

Personally i HAVE shot a few excellent 5 shot groups at 35 yards (my zero range)....with the 5 hole size being approx 6mm, but not with any consistancy. I consider a one hole group to be 5 shots that can be covered by a .22 pellet.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I think we've walked this path many times on here. When challenged to prove the claims of consistant awesome grouping none have picked up the gauntlet.
    I'll take this bet. Tell you what keep your money, you can find me at an indoor range, putting around a thousand pellets through my rifle most Wednesday.

I'll put some one hole very tight groups together for you no problem. And I know a few more fellas who can do the same.
    Last edited by T 20; 22-11-2014 at 06:21 PM.
    Say what is true, although it may be bitter and displeasing to people.

If some of these claims for pellet on pellet or one hole groups at some of the ranges quoted are true why aren't these shooters representing this country at the Olympics etc, they'd be getting gold medals all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggsmakaveli View Post
    I'll take this bet. Tell you what keep your money, you can find me at an indoor range, putting around a thousand pellets through my rifle most Wednesday.

I'll put some one hole very tight groups together for you no problem. And I know a few more fellas who can do the same.
    Make a claim of group size vs distance then. Sitting indoors isn't real shooting now is it?

Let me know your claimed consistant group sizes at 35,40,45,50 and 55 yards?
    Last edited by T 20; 22-11-2014 at 06:23 PM.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us