Thread: My 308 lapua brass won't fl size....help/advice needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vbull,

Have you tried a small base body die ?

The SSG, IIRC, has rear-locking lugs, and so you would get greater case expansion than you would from a forward locking-lug action.

If your other rifle has a near min-spec. chamber, then the body die would help re-szie the cartridges to fit - Redding make an excellent small base body die.

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russs

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    vbull,

The SSG, IIRC, has rear-locking lugs, and so you would get greater case expansion than you would from a forward locking-lug action.

If your other rifle has a near min-spec. chamber, then the body die would help re-szie the cartridges to fit - Redding make an excellent small base body die.

Best regards

Russs
    Im with PhatMan, can you see a visible crease/line around the circumference about 3-4mm above the extractor groove?

TB.

Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    vbull,

Best regards

Russs
    That's clearly true, but I'm amazed that anyone would still design an action like that. The advantages of it are mainly to shorten bolt-stroke and ease turnover for manual rapid fire, as in the Lee-Enfield.

I doubt that factor alone could cause the OP's issue. Treebone's recent comment matches the experience I noted earlier with an over-deep 303 chambering. If incipient separation lines are present, it seems certain to me there has to be a problem with the SSG's chamber as well.
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)