Thread: Why I am Beginning To Change My Mind About Sub12 Hunting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Even if you were a world champion it would only be luck for a humaine quick kill because animals move, so shot placement is unreliable.
    Well Barry, my sub-12 rifles and I must have been plain old 'lucky' literally thousands of times over the years. Unless the countless hours of training, learning, experience and dedication had anything to do with my successes in the field.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Well Barry, my sub-12 rifles and I must have been plain old 'lucky' literally thousands of times over the years. Unless the countless hours of training, learning, experience and dedication had anything to do with my successes in the field.
    Successes in the field? We were talking about hunting there Mellors, hunting...

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Terry what would you say the odds are of a animal keeping still while someone places their shot, about 50 50?
    I suppose that there a are caring hunters but it seem like it's on a sliding scale from really caring to psychopath

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    Terry what would you say the odds are of a animal keeping still while someone places their shot, about 50 50?
    No, way higher than that, in my 50-plus years of experience, Barry.

I know for a fact that 50% of the success I've had is NOT down to luck. I've trained hard and studied harder for that success, mate. Luck plays a part in pretty much everything we do, but nothing like to the degree you're claiming.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

No, way higher than that, in my 50-plus years of experience, Barry.

I know for a fact that 50% of the success I've had is NOT down to luck. I've trained hard and studied harder for that success, mate. Luck plays a part in pretty much everything we do, but nothing like to the degree you're claiming.
    And experience comes into play too aswell as education. I have been shooting for 41 years now and was taught by an old game keeper (Ted R.I.P) I still won't chance a shot even though the knowledge and confidence is there, i need to be as sure as I can be because there is always another opportunity to get it right. Like the rest of us I still miss but better than a dirty shot!!!! I've heard it all over the years, the 100yrd rabbit taken down with a BSA Meteor
    John Darling JD (1946-2004) was my inspiration to be the best i can and enjoy the sport i love. R.I.P
    A dedicated HW80 Fanatic and owner since 1986 to present.

When you take on board the fact that a 1 mph side wind - which you can barely even feel - will make your pellet drift half an inch at 50 yards, and that's half your kill zone, you start to realise the limitations in anything but ideal conditions.
    www.shebbearshooters.co.uk. Ask for Rich and try the coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    When you take on board the fact that a 1 mph side wind - which you can barely even feel - will make your pellet drift half an inch at 50 yards, and that's half your kill zone, you start to realise the limitations in anything but ideal conditions.
    And this is but one of the situations where experience does come into play.
    An experienced shot will be able to compensate for any wind and decide whether the shot should indeed be taken at all.
    B.A.S.C. member

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    And this is but one of the situations where experience does come into play.
    An experienced shot will be able to compensate for any wind and decide whether the shot should indeed be taken at all.
    Maybe not Rob, if we're talking of a 1mph wind, i challenge anyone to be able to detect that. Also take into account that whatever wind is felt by the shooter won't necessarily be the same 20 yards out.

Let's not allow this to spiral into a sub 12ftlb long range hunting thread as it's been unequivocally proven to be irresponsible.
    Chairman Emley Moor F.T.C. 2023 - Misfits champ, HFT extreme champ, NEFTA hunter champ, Midlands Hunter champ, UKAHFT champ.
    https://sites.google.com/site/emleymoorftc/contact-us

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Its amazing how some of you experienced hunters can predict the wind speed both where you are and at the target and predict when a animal is going to keep still and not be startled by surrounding noises and not call it luck, it must be nice to have such a high opinion of yourself