Thread: How does this work?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by trajectory View Post
    Thanks, I thought there would have to be a vent....those seals must be pretty special to cope with running repeatedly over it, must be very resilient even running over a smooth apperture,
    Why would the vent be in a part of the cylinder that the seals pass over?
    The output vent to the storage is most likely in the end, I dare say the intake is likely piped to that same end, or possibly even just a valve in the piston itself. It doesn't have to be in the sidewall of the cylinder, there are other options!

Quote Originally Posted by Solvo View Post
    The output vent to the storage is most likely in the end, I dare say the intake is likely piped to that same end, or possibly even just a valve in the piston itself. It doesn't have to be in the sidewall of the cylinder, there are other options!
    This. While not familiar with multipump guns, I know that with multipump lots of other stuff there is often a simple valve in the piston itself.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    This. While not familiar with multipump guns, I know that with multipump lots of other stuff there is often a simple valve in the piston itself.
    The valve in the piston body is a valve that blows off when pumping gets to a certain pressure. Its for power regulation only
    B.A.S.C. member

Yes, but pumpers are usually simple animals, the cylinder vent/air inlet hole is a very easy and simple system that works. My Blue Streak had a vent hole and was on its original pump seal after 40 years, still pumped fine with no leaks.

There's either a vent hole at the end of the pump stroke or the piston head moves forward far enough so that it breaks cover in the cocking lever slot to take in air.

The vent hole in the cylinder is small enough and finished well enough that it causes no wear on the seal.

I've never seen a multi pump with a one way valve in the piston head to allow air in, it would just be an over complication that's not needed.

All the best Mick

Thanks for all the replies, that's clearer now.

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    On opening the pump arm, there's a point at which the vacuum in front of the pump seal will vent, either by the seal clearing a slot or a drilled hole, allowing the next lot of air forward of the seal to be compressed on closing
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    There's either a vent hole at the end of the pump stroke or the piston head moves forward far enough so that it breaks cover in the cocking lever slot to take in air.

The vent hole in the cylinder is small enough and finished well enough that it causes no wear on the seal.

I've never seen a multi pump with a one way valve in the piston head to allow air in, it would just be an over complication that's not needed.

All the best Mick
    Yep, absolutely.

And, although unlikely to ever cause seal wear issues, the hole or slot could be de-burred if considered necessary.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post

All the best Mick
    yup. The only times I have seen valves in piston heads is to dump air when over pressurised, to prevent them going OTT... nothing to do with air intake... quite the opposite in fact !
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.