Thread: Where to get unusual size allen bolts?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    That's very good of you, thanks Norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    That's very good of you, thanks Norm.

Hi,
    No luck I'm afraid, I gave both the Lowestoft branch and the Gt Yarmouth one call, both branch's had M7 x 70 in hex head but nothing in a cap head ( Allen head ). They said that M7 bolts are rarely asked for being an inbetween 'foreign' size ( had to laugh at that ! ).

Best I could do would be to weld a M6 cap head to the head of a M7x70 hex bolt then turn the hex bit down to match the diameter of an M7 !
    To be honest if you went this route there's probably people on here better skilled at welding and turning than me but if you get stuck I'd have a go !

Norm

As a thread above said, turning down an M8 is not really on ... I should have realised that ... but turning down an M10 by removing the thread and cutting to M7 should work. It could well mean turning down the head diameter but, if there is enough meat on it, it should work.
    Cheers, Phil

Thanks guys, and many thanks for trying, Norm.

Just for now, I'll order some M7x70mm hex bolts, and I'm sure I can 'dremel' a slot in one for a screwdriver.

Yes, it's a bit of a thing this M7 business... anybody with a custom shape stock and an HW95, 80, 77 MK1, etc - could be in the same boat...

... HW77, there's a thought... the ABT lug from a Mk2+ '77/97 is 7mm on the one end...

No no, it's way too complicated to think about this side of Christmas!

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post

Just for now, I'll order some M7x70mm hex bolts, and I'm sure I can 'dremel' a slot in one for a screwdriver.
    If you cut the slot before you round the head you can use the points of the hexagon head as a guide, Phil.

I normally use a hacksaw for the initial cut and then widen it with a small file.

All the best Mick

if you get a m8 x1 fine thread you should be ok to re thread it m7x1 you would probably get away with 5/16 x 24 unf as well

what diameter are you limited to for the head ?

edit
    Ah just spotted Phil Russel got there before me ........the M10 idea.