Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making your own parts and even whole guns

Have considered going mechanised since retirement but keep stalling at the point of purchase.
    Sadly the priceless Evening Institute and Community College facility seem to have disappeared. Certainly in our district.
    A great amenity open to all sorts of interest and ability. Efficiency savings???

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Have considered going mechanised since retirement but keep stalling at the point of purchase.
    Sadly the priceless Evening Institute and Community College facility seem to have disappeared. Certainly in our district.
    A great amenity open to all sorts of interest and ability. Efficiency savings???
    C'mon; stop stalling! Now is the ideal time to do it!!

Old dogs love learning new tricks! Beats daytime TV anyway!!

Mini-lathes start at under £500 and a great one can be had for under a grand!

I bought a mini-lathe (Chester Conquest) just after I retired but now wish I had bought a bigger one (eg/WARCO WM180 or similar) although the one I have does most of what I may ever wish to do, very well!

Only the price of a top notch collectable air rifle so a no-brainer!!

Buy a lathe and basic tools and a heap of Delrin and some bits of brass and aluminium and just have a go! Lots of help on the web and some good cheap books around! In no time at all you will turning out top notch guide and TH sets for your favourite springers!

Then good luck with your new found interest!

atvb
    David
    May today be the best day of your life and all your tomorrows even better!!

Thanks David. No problem learning to use. It's more about justification which I realise is a waste of priceless energy/time.
    To illustrate one of my failings. I really needed a ride on mower and convinced myself easy enough. Over a week or so I drove out four times to get it
    but failed on the first three. 20 years ago and I still have it!!!

Thanks David. No problem learning to use. It's more about justification which I realise is a waste of priceless energy/time.
    To illustrate one of my failings. I really needed a ride on mower and convinced myself easy enough. Over a week or so I drove out four times to get it
    but failed on the first three. 20 years ago and I still have it!!!
    Oh boy! Whenever did we need to justify airguns or toys? Not a question of whether one NEEDS anything or not, all that matters is that one WANTS it! That's probably why I have so many air rifles and two ride on mowers!

Go out and get one, you will never regret it!!

All the very best wishes for a successful project.

David (hopeless case!)

Ha, ha, luv it. Thanks David
    Oh fork 'n knife. What do I get rid of to make room???

Quote Originally Posted by shabee View Post
    Totally agree lakey,
    I was going to post a few days ago after seeing the guns and parts that had been made recently.
    I was to mention for anyone undertaking this kind of work, that it could be in their interests, to obtain a small surface plate and height gauge for marking out.
    The difference in the standard of accuracy marking out this way is worlds apart, and using an "optical center punch" is the difference between parts lining up and not, makers claim accuracy to within 0.001".
    As to inexperienced senior members obtaining and using lathes and mills, well i say "take care" , anyone who has served an old school apprenticeship was first taught safety above all else and these people should know the hazards
    that will present themselves to "green would be engineers". Ive personally seen some nasty accidents with lathes, and they were experienced engineers who knew what they were doing, and who knew the dangers, all of them.
    I never cease to be amazed at the cnc videos such as above, its marvellous what is achieved today, what you must not forget though is every time you see something like this, some clever person has either had to write the program to enable the machine to do this or at best input the figures in to a program to do the calculations, and someone else has had to set the machine tools to enable this to happen without crashes, it looks even better in real life as a lot of the time the videos are slowed for you to see clearly.
    I like the five axis mills, never tire of watching them, the Japanese have been at the forefront of this game for many years.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIvhlKT7SY
    Eric.
    Seems like a contradiction here. The major factor in the accidents you witnessed was no doubt complacency. A newbie is more likely to play safe than an old timer, but you can't legislate for pure stupidity in either case.
    Last edited by Airsporter1st; 22-03-2016 at 10:00 AM.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Ha, ha, luv it. Thanks David
    Oh fork 'n knife. What do I get rid of to make room???
    If that's a huge issue, just build another shed on one of SWMBO's rose beds! Then DUCK!

atvb
    David (Brave man in private!)

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post
    Seems like a contradiction here. The major factor in the accidents you witnessed was no doubt complacency. A newbie is more likely to play safe than an old timer, but you can't legislate for pure stupidity in either case.
    I dont see a contradiction in what youve highlighted?
    Yes complacency is the key but they had all had the benefit of being taught first hand the potential dangers, whereas someone buying a lathe later in life will possibly not have the benefit of someone to explain the dangers to them, nor watching over them for a period, so i would still recommend the "take care" approach to anyone buying one as a new venture with no experience., im not saying dont buy one.
    eric

A couple of years back, there was a few 'hack-spaces' being set up around the country, basically some benches, machines etc, and a few bits of raw material.

The idea was that for a voluntary contribution, a user could access the equipment and get advice from more experienced users on how to use the various machines available.

Before taking the plunge and buying a machine, try it out in a relatively safe environment for minimal outlay, then decide how to proceed.

Mark.
    Too many guns, or not enough time?

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporter1st View Post

Sorry but I dont entirely agree with you here, apart from the stupidity bit.

I would advise anyone of thinking of buying a lathe to go out and do it, BUT, get yourself on a basic course or get someone experienced to show you the basics before you start.

Complacency can cause accidents, but so can inexperience.

I did the old school apprenticeship and have worked in engineering all of my life. I have both taught apprentices and adults, and been responsible for a training centre for seven years, and I taught in the theory and the practical side doing both bench work and machining. When you are training ten apprentices on lathes and millers you know by the sound of the machines if someone is going wrong, thats something that you dont get without a bit of experience, but can be quickly and easily passed on.

Try and get someone to show you the ropes and ask lots of questions before you start. The workshop series of books are still good advice if you want to read all you can.
    The usual accidents are due to being dragged in by sleeves or fingers poking swarf are the ones to be careful of, and also the old favourite of using emery tape around your fingers to finish off and being dragged in. Breaking machines and tooling is probably the least of your problems.

If anyone is fancying a go dont hesitate, but do be careful. I would say that if you have worked in a practical trade before such as joinery or electrical you will have a good start, but I think anyone practical minded can do it with some help.

Owned my lathe for 22 years now and I will only sell it if I have nowhere to store it, I absolutely love making bits and pieces when I have time. The older Colchester machines are ideal although there is nothing wrong with starting on the model makers bench lathes. The Myfords are going for strong money now but are well thought of for small lathes. Some of the Chinese stuff ok for light use.
    PS. If you buy second hand, you are more likely to get extras with it such as extra chucks and face plates and tooling, this usually costs more than the machine.
    Last edited by DEAN C.; 22-03-2016 at 02:06 PM.
    BASC

Just got myself a Myford 10 , didn't want a Chinese, and it's already made a lot of junk but love tinkering with it.
    Just made a bolt probe for a scorpion, old style as only the later ones at Chambers and knibbs.
    Go to bed thinking a problem out and get up and fix it ( sometimes)
    81 and learning all the time as Benny used to say but don't think Benny was talking about a lathe😊😊
    snarepeg.

Yes complacency is the key but they had all had the benefit of being taught first hand the potential dangers, whereas someone buying a lathe later in life will possibly not have the benefit of someone to explain the dangers to them, nor watching over them for a period, so i would still recommend the "take care" approach to anyone buying one as a new venture with no experience., im not saying dont buy one.
    eric
    Thank you Shabee for your concern, and I share your views that anyone buying a lathe and using it with no idea of what they are doing needs to take care. But I wonder how many 'idiots' are likely to buy a lathe in the first place ... maybe a few but I suspect that most buyers are wise enough to appreciate the dangers simply due to their experience with other walks of life. I am 'later in life' and have had no lathe training. At school is was woodwork making a pipe rack. Metal work was a non subject. I do, however, have what I consider to be a good engineering instinct gained from being pretty self reliant and self taught in pedal cycle engineering and car repairs etc from a very early age ... largely through necessity and having no cash to pay other people. I do not consider myself unusual amongst those 'later in life' simply because many in our generation were brought up to 'make and mend' ... an attitude sadly lacking in the younger generation. As to experienced people being unsafe, I sometimes wince at watching some so called professionals working. Classic cases are construction workers using cutting discs for steel or concrete but not wearing any protective equipment at all ... no gloves, no safety goggles etc. Complacency? Maybe but maybe it is a lack of common sense or a lack of an appreciation of the dangers.
    Have I made mistakes... of course I have, a memorable case was e.g. a spring guide and taking just a bit too much off on the final run. Have I been injured? Yes, I have drawn blood but I must say it was within a few minutes of putting my lathe on the bench ... I nicked myself on a sharp edge on the bed. If only the edges had been finished properly!
    So, safety first but I don't think all old timers are accidents waiting to happen.

Cheers, Phil

eric
    The contradiction is that you say that all the nasty accidents you've seen have involved experienced people, but you are telling newbies to take care. Clearly the care needs to be taken once you become experienced - when complacency sets in.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Having a lathe is just part of doing your own repair and building work. You need at least to be able to file out small simple parts and harden them. A simple example is this little cocking lever for the Drulov Condor and Eagle.

Baz

BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Before you start working with your lathe or mill when you get it, all you need to do is watch a few youtube videos of the procedures you want to undertake.
    I defy anyone that says you cant learn it all online
    https://youtu.be/SzgPOJPTo_A
    Donald