Thread: Webley oil can

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Webley did supply a non valvespout oil can prior to the introduction of the latter but that was of a different shape and I have only ever seen one in a private collection. Initially the company recommended oil bottles of Neatsfoot oil, which were presumably unbranded or generally available commercial Neatsfoot oil.

There is no provenance to suggest the oil can under discussion is a genuine Webley item, so I'd suggest caution if anyone is thinking of bidding. Personally, I shan't be bidding on this one.

John M
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Webley did supply a non valvespout oil can prior to the introduction of the latter but that was of a different shape and I have only ever seen one in a private collection. Initially the company recommended oil bottles of Neatsfoot oil, which were presumably unbranded or generally available commercial Neatsfoot oil.

Wasn't Webley No.1 oil the neatsfoot type? That tin is marked as No.2 which I believe was SAE 30 motor oil.

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyWombler View Post
    Wasn't Webley No.1 oil the neatsfoot type? That tin is marked as No.2 which I believe was SAE 30 motor oil.
    I'm not sure if No 1 was Neatsfoot or light machine oil but yes No 2 was SAE30 motor oil as it was intended to lubricate metal piston rings.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post

There is no provenance to suggest the oil can under discussion is a genuine Webley item, so I'd suggest caution if anyone is thinking of bidding. Personally, I shan't be bidding on this one.

John M
    This is the extremely rare oil can pictured in an early Webley catalogue that John is referring to which briefly preceded the Valvespout can.

Brian