Thread: New Feinwerkbau sport - opinions from owners needed.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBuzz View Post
    I love some Weihrauch’s , they’re great guns but they’re not well made. I’m sorry, they’re just not.

Everything is stamped or swaged or pressed or rolled, barely nothing is machined. Then they are assembled with bits of shim and pressure to compensate for the resulting tolerance range.

Most parts on the new sport have been machined and surface ground. The result is a machine that slides together to assemble. I have never worked on an air rifle that is built to the same tolerances, it’s close to perfect.

The trigger is good, it’s not adjustable for pressure but it’s plenty light enough.

It’s not a small air rifle. Though the design makes it seem a 95 rival it’s actually the same size as an 80. The piston is incredibly heavy, half as much again of the 80s piston, so it’s not at its best below 12ftlbs and there is a substantial thwack on discharge. The good thing is there is no twist or any discernible bounce. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever shot, I like it.

As it comes, it twangs like a inebriated West Country farm hand on a pogo stick playing a jews harp. Reason for this is the ‘top hat’ is considerably larger diameter than the spring guide. It has no bearing on performance but if these things bother you, it’s an issue that you need to sort.

I love the whole aesthetic. The ergonomics of the stock are very good. It would be wonderful in walnut.

My only criticisms are that it’s expensive and pellet fussy, both criticisms that could be made of the first 124.

It’s capable of great things but you have to work hard to make those things happen. If you’re like me and just shoot for fun it’s perfect, a real challenge and very rewarding on the days you nail it. It’s not a rifle I would choose for competitive shooting, it’s too hard work compared to a 77, but just like Mach, I love it.

Some images below, some of 80 parts and old 124 parts as comparisons

http://s1067.photobucket.com/user/wh...ow/New%20sport
    Thanks for that Richard. The engineering on FWB rifles certainly grabs me.
    The reports I've read from American users don't attest to huge power. How would you say it does shoot sub 12 ? Would you be able to compare to another rifle ?
    Also you state its pellet fussy, could you elaborate ? I'm guessing with the huge piston it would prefer something heavier than the 7.9 I normally use.

Walnut ? Well a CS500 would surely swing it for me.

At the minute this does appear to be right at the top of my want list. Strangely enough, the more I look at it, the less I dislike the looks.
    B.A.S.C. member

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    At the minute this does appear to be right at the top of my want list. Strangely enough, the more I look at it, the less I dislike the looks.

Buy one!

It'll be funny!
    My ignore list: ​<Hidden information>

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    Thanks for that Richard. The engineering on FWB rifles certainly grabs me.

Quote Originally Posted by tinbum View Post
    Buy one!

It'll be funny!
    Yes, once again, thank you Richard for sharing your experience.

Rob, if the looks are starting to grow on you, just wait until you see one in the flesh and especially once you handle and use one. The quality shines through.

And don't listen to that Tinbum bloke, he's a right gnarly little bugger!
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!