Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Curious about the Webley C1 stock

Not only do people have more guns than me they have more talent! Fitting a venom kit and a 2 stage trigger... my mind blown. The gun must have shot as good as it looks. One thing the collectors on here have in common is that we seem to let guns come and go once we have had them a while.

Maybe I wont press the brother in law into making a stock-just let the wife know that more guns will be arriving eventually.

I’ve never really got on with mine. I don’t like the relationship between the straight grip and the trigger, which feels awkward. And the balance feels top-heavy, quite unlike a god shotgun or a Winchester 94.

My Tracker or my BSF B55 do a much better job at the short, light, carbine thing.

I had a Beeman C1 carbine in the early 90's. It was my main rifle at my gun club back then. It had awesome power for such a small rifle. The recoil a touch heavy. The shotgun style stock was a collaboration between Beeman and Webley. As you know the C1 was basically a Vulcan in a different stock.

I have a Vulcan and I love it, a great rifle (mine is .177) and my go to plinker on my little home range. A fair few must have been sold here in the UK then? I was under the impression they were made for the States... I am starting to feel the need to have one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by vintage View Post
    I had a Beeman C1 carbine in the early 90's. It was my main rifle at my gun club back then. It had awesome power for such a small rifle. The recoil a touch heavy. The shotgun style stock was a collaboration between Beeman and Webley. As you know the C1 was basically a Vulcan in a different stock.
    To be really pedantic, it’s probably better described as based on the Victor (no safety catch, at least on the early ones, and the thinner 15mm barrel shared with the Vulcan Mk1, but not the Mk2, which predated the C1) with a shorter barrel and the different stock, but, unlike the Victor, with the full-power spring from the Vulcan.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    To be really pedantic, it’s probably better described as based on the Victor (no safety catch, at least on the early ones, and the thinner 15mm barrel shared with the Vulcan Mk1, but not the Mk2, which predated the C1) with a shorter barrel and the different stock, but, unlike the Victor, with the full-power spring from the Vulcan.
    ...to be a bit more pedantic,the vulcan mk1/c1 had a 14.5mm barrel

Quote Originally Posted by the logun-ator View Post
    ...to be a bit more pedantic,the vulcan mk1/c1 had a 14.5mm barrel
    You got me there.

So.... if one had a stock these could be built from different rifles? Not that I am going to do it, I wonder if Dr Beeman just went through the Webley catalogue and chose one of this, one of that and came up with the wonderful little C1?

now that you mention it someone at one of the meets I went to had a few C1 stocks for sale , cant think of his name but he used to be a member on here ! Think it was the same guy bought all Dennis Hillers stuff (sure it will come to me in a bit ) But IJ will deffo know

Mally, I would definitely be interested in a stock and making up some sort of C1. I hope whoever has them may read this...?

I've had a couple of C1's in the past. Loved the idea of the design, but found the stock quite uncomfortable. As Geezer mentioned, the grip angle and reach to the trigger blade don't quite mesh somehow.

The C1 stock has very little drop at the heel - very effective in controlling recoil in such a light and powerful springer (i.e., the recoil comes straight into your shoulder, reducing muzzle lift). But in order to do this, the grip area has to be nearly horizontal. The stock may have been "inspired" by the old lever-actions, but is not a real copy, as those old stocks have significantly more drop at the heel and thus more slope to the grip.

The last version of the C1, with heavier barrel, and more curved and set back trigger blade from the third-gen Vulcan family, was significantly better. But still tough on my wrists.

So when making a new stock...my advice would be to keep a careful eye on heights, angles, trigger position, and other ergonomic details.
    Last edited by MDriskill; 04-11-2020 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDriskill View Post
    I've had a couple of C1's in the past. Loved the idea of the design, but found the stock quite uncomfortable.

The C1 stock has very little drop at the heel, which is very effective in controlling recoil in such a light and powerful springer (I.e., the recoil comes straight into your shoulder, which helps in not lifting the muzzle). But in order to do this, the grip area has to be nearly horizontal. The stock may have been inspired by the old lever-actions, but those old stocks have significantly more drop at the heel, and more slope to the grip.

The last version of the C1, with the curved, more set back trigger blade, was much better but still tough on my wrists.

So when making a new stock...my advice would be to keep a careful eye on heights, angles, trigger position, and other ergonomic details.
    Exactly my experience, and mine is an early one with the straighter trigger blade.

Gamocfx: the main challenge in building a “bitsa” C1 may be less finding a stock, then getting hold of a 14” narrow barrel, as opposed to the 17.5” narrow barrel used on the Mk1 Vulcan and the Victor or the later thicker barrel 19” on the Vulcan or 11” (plus muzzle weight) on the Mk3 Vulcan carbines. The last would be a good choice in many ways, but good luck finding one.

Thanks for the advice Chaps, I am not really a purist as regards details... it seems a stock ,ay have been found, it will be a nice project over winter. As for an action there is no rush-will any Vulcan fit this? I will keep an eye on fleabay for further parts...

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    Thanks for the advice Chaps, I am not really a purist as regards details... it seems a stock ,ay have been found, it will be a nice project over winter. As for an action there is no rush-will any Vulcan fit this? I will keep an eye on fleabay for further parts...
    yea any model vulcan,and the earlier hawks as well,only 25mm bore though so it will be restricted to around 10ftlbs

Thanks Logun, as you can see my knowledge is limited! There is a Vulcan and bits for sale on that auction site at the moment..... though I may try local contacts first.