Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
Hello Lewis,
The rifle is a deluxe model, as denoted by the chequering on the pistol hand. The PH16M aperture sight was an optional accessory and was popular with bell target shooters during the 1950s. The loss to the finish detracts from overall value but I would still retain it over refinishing for two reasons. Firstly, refinishing takes away all of the rifle's history and makes it less desirable to serious collectors and secondly the cost of refinishing is unlikely to be recouped at a subsequent sale, particularly when the aforementioned serious collectors pass on the rifle due to the non original finish. As to value, as an honest set, I would say £180 - £200.
Kind regards,
John
Having bought this rifle, I would disagree with your first comment. I do not believe it is a 'deluxe' model as the chequering does not match the quality I would expect for a factory item. When examined it is pretty clear that it has been applied by an amateur enthusiast. Also the stock has been varnished with some pretty big runs in it - this is currently being stripped with a view to oiling it.

As to the finish altering to a brown patina - I thought this was the case as well, but the owner of the rifle admitted he had rubbed the original finish off as it had become rusty and had used a cold blue kit to refinish it, however the black colour changed to brown over time to his disappointment.

Despite these things I am happy with the rifle, and having given it a thorough clean and lube it is a pretty nice little shooter.