Thread: Thinking of a New Old BSA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    I suspect the £329 is for a new Meteor Super as opposed to the old Super Meteor. Completely different guns. Have you tried a BSA mercury? Nice shooters if in good order and a generation before the supersports.
    I think you are right about the Meteor it must have been a new one. I have two Mercury rifles both in .22 I have had a service kit for one of them for about 6 months but time and motivation for it is lacking. I need to buy the correct sized scope rails as with advancing years the opens are not an option for me. It would be great to find a Mercury in .177 or even .25, I think one of those would be worth having.

The Airsporter never seems to get a good review and I have never owned one though I would like one in .177, that would be worth investing in a scope rail for. Are Airsporters as bad as what some reviews portray them as? They do look good!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    I think you are right about the Meteor it must have been a new one. I have two Mercury rifles both in .22 I have had a service kit for one of them for about 6 months but time and motivation for it is lacking. I need to buy the correct sized scope rails as with advancing years the opens are not an option for me. It would be great to find a Mercury in .177 or even .25, I think one of those would be worth having.

The Airsporter never seems to get a good review and I have never owned one though I would like one in .177, that would be worth investing in a scope rail for. Are Airsporters as bad as what some reviews portray them as? They do look good!
    I have a few Airsporter S's and they can be very good, on both power and accuracy. Personally not as keen on the slab sided Airsporter's but they still look ok.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

The Airdporter S and indeed the Mercury S do indeed look better than the standard barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamocfx View Post
    The Airdporter S and indeed the Mercury S do indeed look better than the standard barrel.
    I have both Airsporter S and Mercury S, theyre lovely to look at

I have a soft spot for the first Airsporter S (Mk1) from the late 70s early 80's but the triggers were basic to say the least, and they seemed to vary on power even when they were fairly new. I think the fit of the tap had a lot to do with it, and the standard of those was hit and miss, literally. Some had a good 11+ft/lbs others struggled to get 9 or 10ftlbs. Mercurys although arguably not so pretty were always pretty good, especialy the S with the heavier barrel and better hinge pin..
    BASC

I think they do look very refined and the Mercury was available in .25 I wonder was the Airsporter offered in this calibre?

Thumbs up

I got a Lightning from a friend some years ago (Got two actually but let one go to a distant family member that really wanted it!)

I really like this one and won't let it go, I found some windage adjustable mounts on fleabay that fitted the Maxi grip rail fine..

I hadn't centralised the mounts when I took this pic as can be seen from the uneven gaps in the mounts!!

I originally fitted the mounts that came in boxes with the Bushnell scopes I bought, Turned out they were 11mm, On full laft windage the groups were 5" to the right of bull!!

By the way, I had a beautiful Goldstar that I bought from a friend but like a pratt I let it go

John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Another vote for the Superstar from me, probably BSAs best post war Springer, I had a corker with a WW tune, in .22, ill health forced the sale of that one, sadly

As you have a Supersport Carbine, you already own one of the best BSAs (which you might know)

Do you have any specific criteria for a new gun?
    Too many airguns!

Yes, a big fan of the BSA Superstar. I have several Superstars including a carbine. A .177 was tuned by WW and it is a superb performer. I have two most excellent condition Goldstars, never shot them yet! I have two Mercury S models, walnut stocks not much to write home about fairly bland. I have a couple of Challengers, one a carbine version, they are fine models too. I have RB2 Airsporter, nice looking indeed, some don't rate the RB2, but, I am happy with mine. Like the Superstars, the RB2 have the rotating breech which is extremely safe in use. All are open sight, the only scoped I have is a TX 200 HC, I find the rotary breech easy to insert a pellet than the TX200 HC. Oh, I have a 635 Magnum, it is a shame that the Green Rhinos in 0.25 are not available any more. Some say The Marksman can be used, but, even they are a bit tight to insert.

Regards to all

Quote Originally Posted by evert View Post
    As you have a Supersport Carbine, you already own one of the best BSAs (which you might know)

Do you have any specific criteria for a new gun?
    Hi Evert, I think I would like to try a Supersport Carbine in a different calibre.