Thread: nasty neighbour with a crossbow!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff0100 View Post
    Why don't you invite him round to have a few shots with you ? He might end up as your shooting buddy.
    This ^^^^ if you don't 'love' eachother, you still might be able to agree eachother's safety procedures - without it involving calls to the cops and 'planting' evidence

BTW - I'd like a blowpipe and darts ... are they legal? Poison tipped?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    BTW - I'd like a blowpipe and darts ... are they legal?
    Banned from manufacture, import or sale in 1988 IIRC, along with a variety of other "Ninja type stuff". Another Govt clampdown based on sensationalist reporting (or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- it amounts to the same intellectual level )

Of course they are not per se illegal to own. And if you owned one before the ban you are fine

Quote Originally Posted by short-carabine View Post
    Banned from manufacture, import or sale in 1988 IIRC, along with a variety of other "Ninja type stuff". Another Govt clampdown based on sensationalist reporting (or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- it amounts to the same intellectual level )

Of course they are not per se illegal to own. And if you owned one before the ban you are fine
    Killjoys thanks for that info though

My last blowpipe was a 'Bic' biro with the innards removed ... ammo was chewed up bits of writing paper ... used to shoot 'near' my history teacher when his back was turned to the class ... he was very old

My last blowpipe was a 'Bic' biro with the innards removed ... ammo was chewed up bits of writing paper ... used to shoot 'near' my history teacher when his back was turned to the class ... he was very old
    Indeed, that particular law has really driven crime down. Your standard .40cal blowgun is at least 3 ft long, so not exactly covert and the fps is probably around the level of a Gat unless you have lungs the size of a hot air balloon

Nice action, we used the same sort of arrangement with the end of a shoelace with a pin pushed through it and a bit of tissue on the back to give it some drag, flew surprisngly well but generally only had enough power to get stuck in clothing.
    Great Deals with : Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich

Quote Originally Posted by blooregard View Post
    Nice action, we used the same sort of arrangement with the end of a shoelace with a pin pushed through it and a bit of tissue on the back to give it some drag, flew surprisngly well but generally only had enough power to get stuck in clothing.
    The brother in law once dropped a carpenter with a homemade blowgun. He was laying out fiberboard for a/c ductwork and a fellow kept tossing 16d nails at him when he wasn't looking. He took some electrical conduit and a wire tie nut with a little cone of aluminum tape on it so it sealed in the pipe. The target was working on second floor facia while standing on the lower roof. He was shot through the window and intended to have his chest as a target. The dart hit him square between the eyes causing him to fall and nearly roll off the roof. Very funny and very dangerous at the same time. They quit throwing nails at my brother in law at least.
    Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich rule.

Yep, our French teacher used to cop for this sort of treatment. He DID see the funny side!
    I assume pea shooters are legal. At what point does a pea shooter become a blowpipe? Is it down to length?

Must admit, I do own a cheap recurve bow, a Samick something or other. £60 brand new a few years ago from Merlin Archery. Not used to for a while, but what a nice little piece of kit for not a lot of money.
    I love the back-to-basics feel of a simple bow like this, and many elements of airgun shooting apply to bows, just the same, especially loosing the shot and follow through. I find it very therapeutic and rewarding. Ought to dig it out sometime and give it another go......
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- August 3/4, 2024.........BOING!!