Thread: Beeman/HW40 red dot sights.

Chewy is offline Can't believe i missed this last night...

Beeman/HW40 red dot sights.

I've just picked up a Beeman HW40 clone 2nd hand from my local gun shop. I'd been toying with the idea of getting an HW40 for a while, and when i popped in to stock up on pellets and CO2 i spotted the beeman under the counter. Anyway, i wound up leaving with the pellets, CO2, and the beeman. Just as well the wife's into air guns too...

Getting to the point, the open sights on the beeman are a little beat up, nothing i couldn't sort out on a quiet late shift at work, but i'd like a red dot sight on this gun. I thought this wouldn't be a problem, given that it already has a scope rail built in. However, i've been checking the gun over tonight and i'm just wondering how easy is it to actually cock these guns with any kind of sight/scope attached to the rail? Is it even possible? It's hard enough to close the barrel with nothing attached.

Gun seems good though. Very happy with it.
    Weihrauch HW99S .177 - Pardini P10 - Crosman 2240 - Beeman P17 .177 - Umarex Beretta PX4 Storm .177 - Umarex Beretta 92FS .177

Is it the P17
    "If I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I said" - Alan Greenspan.

Yeah, i think so. It doesn't say Marksman 2004 or 2006 on the side.
    Weihrauch HW99S .177 - Pardini P10 - Crosman 2240 - Beeman P17 .177 - Umarex Beretta PX4 Storm .177 - Umarex Beretta 92FS .177

Nice pistol you have there.

I'd recommend buying the physically smallest red dot sight. One of the single lens type and mount it as far forward to allow you to cock the pistol comfortably.

Good luck, Phil

If it is the 2004E it is awkward to cock with sights on, even more so if you had a pressure pad laser sight as you would need to have the pad in an area that would not be to your liking, as you are lifting the cocking system up.When new they take some force to cock at the best of times but soon wear in.Great fun though but pellet fussy.

Thumbs up Hw40?

I had 1 of these pistols for about a year with red dot fitted, used to cock it pressing on the red dot, had no problems,however would'nt reccomend it with
    a cheap tv screen type,mine was a jsr 30mm red dot.nice piece of kit,still use red dot...mike...

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to give it a go with the open sights at the range tomorrow and see how it shoots.

Looking at it, there's probably enough room on the over-lever to mount a red dot sight right at the front and still have enough room at the back to push it closed. Just got to learn to keep my pinkies out of the way when it snaps shut.

I notice Bill says they're pellet fussy. What pellets do you guys recommend? I blagged a tin of Geco wadcutters free with it, but i've never used those before at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to give it a go with the open sights at the range tomorrow and see how it shoots.

Looking at it, there's probably enough room on the over-lever to mount a red dot sight right at the front and still have enough room at the back to push it closed. Just got to learn to keep my pinkies out of the way when it snaps shut.

I notice Bill says they're pellet fussy. What pellets do you guys recommend? I blagged a tin of Geco wadcutters free with it, but i've never used those before at all.
    Deffo keep your pinkies out, it bloody hurts lol, I find decent pellets like RWS work fine, using hobby at the mo and they are accurate.

Lol, yeah. I had an Anics A3000 a few years ago and i can remember catching the web of skin between my thumb and index finger in the top slide next to the 'ejection port' a few times. Ouchy!

Mine is amazingly accurate with superdomes
    'Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts'

Another vote for Superdomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    Nice pistol you have there.

I'd recommend buying the physically smallest red dot sight. One of the single lens type and mount it as far forward to allow you to cock the pistol comfortably.

Good luck, Phil
    Thats what I did with mine, I got a nice small tasco red dot off #### which I mounted at the front leaving a hand width at the rear to cock it. Also if you mount it at the rear the continual open snap shut recoil is far worse than it is at the front where it pivots.

http://i43.tinypic.com/b54hgl.jpg
    Last edited by Hollowpoint; 14-06-2009 at 10:52 AM.
    hoplophobe

Had the beeman down the range this morning. I didn't have any proper targets to set out at closer ranges, so i had to stick to bashing tins. Everything seems spot on so far though. The gun was running around 2.5 to 2.6 ft/lbs and did a very consistent 407 to 410 fps over 10 shots through the chrono.

It seems to hit harder than my Colt too.

Smile Ratgunner

Have a 2x32 Rhino scope with Hawke twin screw mounts to spread the load on my HW40,

Could you fit a red dot like that?

I find the scope way better