Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Releasing wild rabbits ( Stupid question but still)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm not sure it is illegal........
    If you had the landowners permission to release rabbits why is it illegal ?
    They are a native species.
    Foxes can legally be released (I checked with DEFRA) but it's not advisable because they can cover huge distances to get back to their home territory and can spread disease in the process and have to contend with other foxes whilst trying to get "home"
    Non natives like grey squirrels must be destroyed if trapped.
    But how many times have you seen those idiot vet programs setting the fluffy buggers free after nursing them back to health????
    Who got prosecuted ? No one.
    Do it.
    Good deals with:
    Dunn220, Leon, Bullcelt, stink£r, u.k.neil, supersharpshoot, william and airgun god, GEORGEY, telgun, Simon P and stubbs4612, Wellhouse0, harpo

Irrespective of legal or not, then:
    A rabbit warren every year sends fourth excess males and females to find new homes, to stop overcrowding. Thats the natural method.
    If your patch has no rabbits then quite possible the ground isn't good for holding rabbits, or establishing a warren or two. Poor land and rabbits will be always be scarce. If there are signs of old warrens then if they were suitable local rabbits will repopulate then soon enough. Poor drainage, and no cover are the main reasons for few rabbits.

Catching a whole lot up and dumping them on your ground is unlikely to result in anything more than bewildered terrified rabbits that the local foxes will sweep up in no time. Or the local rabbits will hound out sharpish.

The spread of desease is high. Rabbits are vermin for good reason and its not just what they eat but the damage they do.

Lastly,
    This time of year most fields look empty. Go out with NV kit or a lamp at 3am and you will see the real rabbit numbers all feeding out in the fields. Numbers can be staggering.

My first thought when I read this thread was "what a dick."

It is also my last thought.

Releasing wild rabbits to get a population you can shoot? Weird. Very weird.

You should have a word with yourself.
    The Mayor: Intent? How did you establish that?
    Harry Callahan: When a man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher’s knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn’t out collecting for the Red Cross.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    My first thought when I read this thread was "what a dick."

It is also my last thought.

Releasing wild rabbits to get a population you can shoot? Weird. Very weird.

You should have a word with yourself.
    I agree, what kind of PR for airgunners would that be, releasing live animals so someone can have fun killing them

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!
    Obvious troll is obvious, look out for a tabloid article on how gun nuts discuss the best way to increase their chances of successfully satiating their bloodlust.

There's loads of places crawling with rabbits, just go and get permission on there.
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Quote Originally Posted by Barryg View Post
    I agree, what kind of PR for airgunners would that be, releasing live animals so someone can have fun killing them
    ask the pheasant breeders. and i am a soft sod. i shot a rabbit once then found the likkle ones. i took them home and they became bens pets. he was terrorist. a jack Russel one. touch any of them bunnies and prepare for a visit to AandE. the bggr is i gave them away and they ended up as pets. wild rabbits my bum.
    Last edited by max headroom; 28-11-2017 at 02:27 PM.
    the only thing i can find wrong is the nut on the steering wheel.

Rabbits are the responsibility of the landowner in terms of controlling them. If they then become a problem on an adjacent bit of land the neighbouring landowner may have some legal comeback. Its unlikely any rabbits released on your shoot, will confine their activities to your land. Crop destruction by rabbits can have large financial implications.
    B.A.S.C. member

Above #19 & #20. Voices of reason on the thread at last.

Quote Originally Posted by robs5230 View Post
    ,,,,Crop destruction by rabbits can have large financial implications.
    Which is why many farmers say 'No' when you ask if you can help to reduce crop destruction and save the farmer money by shooting your fully automatic .50 caliber full metal jacket assault rifle on their land, sorry I meant your 10-11 ftlb .177 air rifle.
    Never see a poor farmer.

I don't think that you are legally allowed to spread vermin. I believe that a wild rabbit is classed as pest/vermin.

A.G

ferret 123, a most excellent post. My findings are very similar.

Rabbits that are forced out of the warren for community reasons fair badly. Very few survive to find new accommodation, but its only takes a few. Thats the natural way, though pretty tough, but its nature's way. Its how Australia, the UK even, now has rabbits spread everywhere. If they find good conditions they flourish. Rabbits are pretty successful.
    Last edited by Muskett; 01-12-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Its OK for shotgun though? They release pheasants on selected land and have a blast at them. They call it sport.

I dont agree with what the OP suggested / asked. Im just putting a differrent perspective on your reply.

Because it is sport, quite an expensive one as it has to pay for all the bird food, pest control, land management and habitat conservation. Bonus there is a tasty wild crop of pheasant to eat.

Do tell of an equivalent better conservation system that is run? One that is self financing, on an equivalent scale, and as long term sustainable. RSPB efforts are tiny, and industrial farming doesn't do much. Its individual sportsmen that do most, plus a few who would do it anyway. Metropolitans do scant little but demand cheep food and a pub to go to as a tourist attraction when visiting the countryside.
    I'm a huge fan of Sporting Estates be they one acre or 5000. Heck my garden I get both rabbit and pigeon to eat.

Barryg is offline Registered ̶D̶i̶a̶n̶a̶ User
    Quote Originally Posted by CuppaT View Post
    Its OK for shotgun though? They release pheasants on selected land and have a blast at them. They call it sport.

I dont agree with what the OP suggested / asked. Im just putting a differrent perspective on your reply.
    This is how most of the public see pheasant shoots
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u80ou6-ZqQk

This is how most of the public see pheasant shoots
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u80ou6-ZqQk
    I was thinking more along the lines of that old Monty Python Upper Class Twit Hunt.

I've no idea how to pull it up though.