Thread: Shock at Holts auction charges

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    A sporting friend takes the photos for the catalogue and spends a day or two getting everything together. He says they may stop doing it if turnover drops below a certain amount. Can't remember the exact amount but seem to remember it was about a half a million a month which I thought was a substantial amount. Perhaps they have to pay out more than we assume it costs.
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

A provincial auction house may have ten people working for it in some capacity. Taking base £2k each a month just on salaries, plus rent, rates, and the rest, then they need to make £40k min a month, probably a lot more. All from two to three sales a month. That requires a thousand lot commissions of at least £40 a time. Some lots make more some not even that; and some don't sell.

The big players have lots worth big sums, millions even. The little boys don't. A £200 air rifle is break even towards the lot commission pot. Its a service for those who want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    A £200 air rifle is break even towards the lot commission pot. Its a service for those who want it.
    With all due respect I very much doubt that is true and you can't possibly know that in relation to Holts.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolkngood View Post
    A sporting friend takes the photos for the catalogue and spends a day or two getting everything together. He says they may stop doing it if turnover drops below a certain amount. Can't remember the exact amount but seem to remember it was about a half a million a month which I thought was a substantial amount. Perhaps they have to pay out more than we assume it costs.
    Do you mean stop doing the paper catalogue or have they abandoned that already?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

No, stop doing auctions altogether if the turnover is less than half a million, but looking at it I think the figure quoted was a million. Just had a look and their turnover is 6 million a year with four auctions so 1 1/2 million per auction if they only rely on those and have no other form of income.
    She was only an Admiral's daughter but her naval base was full of discharged seamen.

Quote Originally Posted by Norfolkngood View Post
    No, stop doing auctions altogether if the turnover is less than half a million, but looking at it I think the figure quoted was a million. Just had a look and their turnover is 6 million a year with four auctions so 1 1/2 million per auction if they only rely on those and have no other form of income.
    Interesting, thanks. Presumably that doesn't include the sealed bids auctions?

I suppose they generate less income anyway as most of the guns in sealed bids are of lesser quality, although I see Holts now sell off unsold lots via the website for a fixed price inc Vat and commission, based on the lower end of the estimate.

This must help keep overheads lower and shift hard-to-sell stock, although it's not so good for the seller...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Interesting, thanks. Presumably that doesn't include the sealed bids auctions?

I suppose they generate less income anyway as most of the guns in sealed bids are of lesser quality, although I see Holts now sell off unsold lots via the website for a fixed price inc Vat and commission, based on the lower end of the estimate.

This must help keep overheads lower and shift hard-to-sell stock, although it's not so good for the seller...
    All I know was that he said if they can't make a million turnover on the large auctions then there is no point in doing them.

No idea of their real figures. They give a service and thats their rate, all in black and white with the odd stinger thrown in for the unwary.
    Agreed its not a cheap service; nor are Gas Certificates or pluming issues, dentists or anything else. Get someone else to do something then its going to cost loads of £££££'s.

Anyway, don't think Holts is any better or worse than anyone else. Thats all.

All that we need in this country is a proper carrier, who is prepared to carry guns for the general public, and to offer sensible insurance rates that reflect the true value of the guns being carried. Such things are available to trade customers, but most will not deal with Joe public or have policies forbidding the carriage of guns (legal to carry in this country - such as sub 12 ft lbs air guns).

The Royal Mail will carry guns, but they do so reluctantly, and seem to employ staff who refuse to accept company rules, also they refuse to offer enough insurance to cover tha value of the goods. (I have heard it said that it is because guns are high risk?) However they will carry cameras, phones and other high tech items which are 100% more fragile. As long as the parcels are well wrapped I dont see a problem. Parcels are normally refused if they are improperly wrapped I thought.
    Either way if such a company were to start up, they would have a captive audience of airgun enthusiasts queuing up to use their service, then you would really see BBS sales return to levels as they were before the Royal Mail lost their appeal, and reduced all the insurance rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    No idea of their real figures. They give a service and thats their rate, all in black and white with the odd stinger thrown in for the unwary.
    Agreed its not a cheap service; nor are Gas Certificates or pluming issues, dentists or anything else. Get someone else to do something then its going to cost loads of £££££'s.

Anyway, don't think Holts is any better or worse than anyone else. Thats all.
    Everybody in the UK wants to earn £500 a day.
    No matter how simple their job is.

I get annoyed with heating engineers who fix a boiler in 4 minutes charge £90 and don't tell you what the( obviously simple ) problem is.

And who can afford to pay a dopey Solicitor £250 per hour plus vat so it's really £300 per hour.

My teeth cost me more than any other single household expense last year.
    Only for a Crown and a couple of filling repairs!

I could go on!