Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleeving tube....?

Sleeving tube....?

People who are sleeving their guns down, what tube are you using?

Is there a minimal acceptable grade metal..., aluminium, cold seamless steel, stainless?

The reason I ask,

I've read a lot about tuning lately! I'm wanting to put into practice everything I've read and hopefully learned. I've always wanted to do it, but I'm no academic! Once finished I'll be posting a thread about it, showing my finding and failures/successes!

Sleeving is one part of it, I've a dodgy cylinder that can be fixed but it's only salvageable for a project like Sleeving.
    Cheers
    Andy

Hydraulic tube in steel will be what you need, Andy.

I'm sure the likes of T20, Jon Budd and NickG will be along with finer detail.
    THE BOINGER BASH AT QUIGLEY HOLLOW. MAKING GREAT MEMORIES SINCE 15th JUNE, 2013.
    NEXT EVENT :- May 4/5, 2024.........BOING!!

Hi TonyL,

Thanks for that, I'll have a search for that.

I've a local metal supermarket, they cut any lengths. Hopefully they'll stock it.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    yeah, seamless hydraulic steel...

defo don't use ally.

Bear in mind there should be no metal-metal contact with correct piston bearings etc, regular steel is fine
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Search 'precision steel tube '
    On that auction site.

What size you after ?

sleeving

whats the point in sleeving when you could buy a gun in the right diameter tube anyway, I know it is a rather simplistic view but it also adds weight as well I am probably missing the point somewhere along the line.

Quote Originally Posted by gunstock View Post
    whats the point in sleeving when you could buy a gun in the right diameter tube anyway, I know it is a rather simplistic view but it also adds weight as well I am probably missing the point somewhere along the line.
    let us know were I can buy a decent quality springer with a 22mm tube please...?
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Ive looked on the bay and I'm talking to my metal place.
    Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    yeah, seamless hydraulic steel...

defo don't use ally.

Bear in mind there should be no metal-metal contact with correct piston bearings etc, regular steel is fine
    Hi Jon,
    I seem to recall you have been playing with 23mm set ups, what seal did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    Hi Jon,
    I seem to recall you have been playing with 23mm set ups, what seal did you use?
    yes, I really like 23mm actually, as you can just spin down a regular TX piston.

Just used a vac 25 seal and sized it down. Obviously with such drastic sizing, you have to use a solid, not lipped seal, which is a slight drawback. But being able to fit a multitude of springs and not having to make a new piston from scratch do compensate

22 mm tube

surely with all the experts around somebody would have had a go and made a prototype by now

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    yes, I really like 23mm actually, as you can just spin down a regular TX piston.

Just used a vac 25 seal and sized it down. Obviously with such drastic sizing, you have to use a solid, not lipped seal, which is a slight drawback. But being able to fit a multitude of springs and not having to make a new piston from scratch do compensate
    I'm looking for a seal now, but will start with an O ring.
    The ease of sleeving a 26mm down is what appeals to me, I just rebuilt my 25mm HW77 so it's time to have a play with the 26mm 97 spare parts special I have here, going to try ally pistons etc see what I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Artfull-Bodger View Post
    I'm looking for a seal now, but will start with an O ring.
    The ease of sleeving a 26mm down is what appeals to me, I just rebuilt my 25mm HW77 so it's time to have a play with the 26mm 97 spare parts special I have here, going to try ally pistons etc see what I get.
    yeah 26>23 is a stock size - that hadn't escaped me either

I have been using some CDS stainless tube which is specked at 25.4- 1.6 mm wall but was 25.6 od so a little bearing fit solution holds well in 26 tubes or a light skim to fit the 25mm comp tubes.

Jon

I ordered one of these to experiment with https://www.amazon.co.uk/U32i-Hydrau...hydraulic+seal , it's polyurethane and has a single lip, might have to get creative with the fitting but worth a try.