Thread: Do I want a .177...?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    As more action inertia needs to be generated to propel a .177 pellet around the 11ft.lb mark than is needed to propel a .22 pellet to the same power lever (best way to explain this is the physics of how much energy do you need to exert to throw a light cotton wool ball twenty feet compared to the energy you would need to exert to throw a pebble the same distance), a lighter rifle will absorb less of the .177 inertia energy than a heavier one.

This is why in my not inconsiderable experience that I proffer light rifles like the BSA Mercury, Airsporter and Super Sport (plus all the BSA Lightening derivatives) are simply ghastly to shoot in .177 compared to the same guns in .22 (Webly Vulcans and all derrivatives therein fit this model, imho, too).

Upper end quality -- and more weighty -- springer air rifles like the HW97K, HW80/80K, HW77/77K, HW98, AA TX200/200HC and AA ProSports are more than capable of absorbing and naturally damping down the aforementioned extra inertia generated by full hop .177 actions however, which is why ALL as I have detailed in this paragraph are such a joy to shoot in any calibre sub 12ft.lb (my very personal favourite off the list being the AATX200HC .177 ).

So go on, treat yourself, and get yourself a 'Super Springer' off the above list in .177, as you will not regret it (but do remember to use a Dampa mount for your scope, too, as I swear by these for all springers). Hope this helps? Atb: G.

Last edited by Gareth W-B; 13-04-2018 at 07:22 PM.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.