Well after about twenty years I am back tinkering and to be honest I am a little dissapointed that things are still frustrating when it comes to the good old spring gun design. Bought a Stealth recently and loved it but needed the "soul" of a spring gun again so off I went and sold the Stealth...

There was I hoping the niggles of 20+ years ago would have been just a memory....same issues that were there years ago are still there Today, bought a brand new HW80 recently and even though still robustly built the internals are a little bit of a disgrace with the cut spring and lucky chance tolerances. With modern machining it should be possible to have super smooth reliable consistency out of the box without resorting to tuning on £300+ guns!

So the tinkering starts and after a polish and lube things improved but then the cut spring needed dealing with, ordered an XS - truly awful too long and harsh then bent like a banana inside 50 shots! Back to the cut HW spring that actually looks better quality than most after market stuff but I cant live with the cut off end.

Then it's a TR ROBB spring...hmmm bit too hot and no facility to cut it at home, the garden gate spring collection grows!

Now it's an SFS spring, really nicely finished but sadly for some unknown reason gives shotgun groups - maybe a tight / loose guide compatability, who knows.

The last chance is going to be a Bonnie & Clyde kit from William all matching and if that goes the garden gate route it's sadly full circle to the PCP again.

Rant over