Thread: Who has got the earliest Scorpion pistol ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    This is a popular fallacy that's been doing the rounds for years

The Scorpion Air Pistol is not a modified/adapted/scaled down anything.

You destroy your own assertion by stating the only similarity to the Mercury is the diameter of the cylinder, that the piston/sear assembly is similar to an Airsporter, that the trigger is similar to a Meteor, and that the barrels will only fit Scorpion/Buccaneer models, so going on those assertions, it's a hybrid Mercury/Airsporter/Meteor, with unique barrels.

The Scorpion air pistol may use some similar components to other BSA products, but was created in it's own right.

The Buccaneer and Scorpion's power was quoted at time of introduction as being 510fps in .177 for both models, and 380fps/400fps for the Scorpion and Buccaneer respectively in .22, so they were both regarded as Air Pistols, and limited to the legal power output of an air pistol, therefore anyone increasing the power of a Buccaneer is asking for trouble.
    Both pistols ? Say,s who ?
    http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l1...lek/img079.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    These are the original flyers for both items, quoting power levels for both:

Scorpion

Buccaneer

Any item with power levels listed by the manufacturer as being that of an air pistol, is regarded as being an air pistol.
    This subject has been discussed on the BBS previously, and as far as I am aware the Buccaneer has always been regarded as a Scorpion with an extended barrel and a shoulder stock, with the same power plant, which is exactly what it is, as the same Mainspring, part No: 16-3114, is listed for both, and the Piston, part No: 16-3082 is listed for both, along with the Piston Head, Part No: 16-3110 is listed for both.
    There is, however, a different piston listed for the .22 Scorpion, Part No: 16-3187, although the Piston Head is the same for both.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    These are the original flyers for both items, quoting power levels for both:

Scorpion

Buccaneer

Any item with power levels listed by the manufacturer as being that of an air pistol, is regarded as being an air pistol.
    What separates a rifle from a pistol in terms of it's build and legality I do not know, however the current Crosman 2240 and 2250 only differ in that the 2250 has a different stock and barrel - yet legally one is a pistol and the other a rifle.

With respect, the flyer for the buccaneer states "...has produced in the buccaneer a full sized but compact air rifle."

BSA themselves list the buccaneer in the chronology as;
    1977 Introduction of the Buccaneer air rifle.

I must confess a vested interest though as I own a Buccaneer http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/S6302089.jpg

I also own a .22 and .177 Scorpion both transitional models as they have mk1 rear sights but also have scope rails in the cylinder.

As has been posted previously thanks to all for posting pictures esp. the Shadow (still looking for one!)

Does any one have the Trooper variant?

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman View Post
    What separates a rifle from a pistol in terms of it's build and legality I do not know, however the current Crosman 2240 and 2250 only differ in that the 2250 has a different stock and barrel - yet legally one is a pistol and the other a rifle.

With respect, the flyer for the buccaneer states "...has produced in the buccaneer a full sized but compact air rifle."

BSA themselves list the buccaneer in the chronology as;
    1977 Introduction of the Buccaneer air rifle.

I must confess a vested interest though as I own a Buccaneer http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/w...r/S6302089.jpg

I also own a .22 and .177 Scorpion both transitional models as they have mk1 rear sights but also have scope rails in the cylinder.

As has been posted previously thanks to all for posting pictures esp. the Shadow (still looking for one!)

Does any one have the Trooper variant?
    Only just seen this post.
    It looks like BSA succeeded in muddying the waters by saying the Buccaneer was a compact air rifle, and then quoting the same power output figures as the Scorpion.
    If it came to the crunch, I don't know which pronouncement would hold sway, but I've always regarded the manufacturers quoted output figures as being the defining fact.

Here's my boxed Shadow Trooper:

Shadow Trooper - 1
    Shadow Trooper - 2

I have pictures of these with the word 'Trooper', instead of 'Shadow' impressed in the cylinder, so presumably some of them used 'Shadow' actions with full length barrels and a different prefix to the serial number, before the 'Trooper' actions were produced for the American market.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 12-02-2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: New Pictures

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

another scorpion reborn

received another very elderly and infirm .177 scorpion this week rusty and minus sights,[serial num corroded so cant tell quite how old but has scope rail so an 1985 plus i guess]
    plus tempest ;amazingly i managed to secure a set of sights[full] and a forend shroud for the tempest! ,im certainly going to do a luck dip on the lotto tonight.
    ps guy,you will be glad to know its still black!!!![happy now]
    ps ps for the moment.
    ive just found a can of morris marina brown in the shed "what do you think" ?
    Last edited by red bob; 12-02-2011 at 11:18 PM.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

My two here;

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...serRB30247.jpg

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...dserRA4789.jpg

The MKII I bought in the summer of 1975 so where the fallacy of the MKII (with scope rails) not coming out until 1985 comes from I do not know.

I have owned a few in my time, two of which I chrome plated (.177 and .22), I think that I sold one of them on here.
    lodmoor
    Always ready to buy another Webley pistol and another and . . . .

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

thats a nice pair! im not sure myself i think more research is required but the general
    dates that come through for mk1 mk2 is pretty well known, but how transitional models
    fit in is another thing;ive heard that the sights are an example of change over alloy/plastic but the scope rails are another point.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,