Thread: Airgun Manufacturers in Zella-Mehlis Germany

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Interesting he says Germany continued Airgun production through WW2 until 1945? I always read Airgun production ceased as it did in Britain?
    The last German airgun I've seen date marked is 1940 (a Diana).
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    The last German airgun I've seen date marked is 1940 (a Diana).
    That makes sense, I find it impossible to believe anyone was making airguns during the war.

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    That makes sense, I find it impossible to believe anyone was making airguns during the war.

There was a very interesting research article by Jim Stonely on this very topic back in 1986 (Guns Review, Dec 1981, pages 1020-1023), entitled “Production of German Airguns, Sporting Guns and Ammunition in World War II”. Using official UK-USA reports (CIOS) and UK reports (BIOS) based on seized Nazi industrial records he found that Haenel, Diana and Venuswaffenwerk. EM-GE and Langenhan were all producing substantial numbers of airguns during the war years. The reasons for this included the need for training guns, and a desire by companies to be in a viable manufacturing position once the war ended. The individual figures for each company are surprising, and for example Diana alone was producing up to 200,000 airguns a year at one point, and Haenel 85,000 air pistols. Hard to believe I will admit, as where are they all now?

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    Hard to believe I will admit, as where are they all now?
    It may be that many persons who owned airguns thought they had better get rid of the airguns rather than be found in possession of what looked like a real weapon and risk arrest or whatever.
    If substantial training airguns were made for the armed forces, then I would think that they were kept in barracks and duly destroyed when Germany was over-run or perhaps they had already been melted and machined into powder burners when materials became scarce in the closing stages of the war.
    I am no historian but just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    It may be that many persons who owned airguns thought they had better get rid of the airguns rather than be found in possession of what looked like a real weapon and risk arrest or whatever.
    If substantial training airguns were made for the armed forces, then I would think that they were kept in barracks and duly destroyed when Germany was over-run or perhaps they had already been melted and machined into powder burners when materials became scarce in the closing stages of the war.
    I am no historian but just guessing.
    As far as I know, the German armed forces did not use air guns as trainers. Some were used by the Hitler Youth for marksmanship training.

I believe the “military trainer” thing was started after the war by dealers as a way to boost interest in secondhand German bolt action ball firers.

arnie2b Guest

Incase you're not aware of this book, it's in German only though.

luftgewehre-und-luftpistolen-aus-suhl-und-zella-mehlis-nach-1945

Appears to be available at this source, only.
    https://vsmedien-shop.de/buecher/waf...945-2.-auflage

google trans of description:
    Product information "Air rifles and air pistols from Suhl and Zella-Mehlis after 1945 2nd edition"
    Air rifles and air pistols from Suhl and Zella-Mehlis after 1945 2nd edition
    Author: Ernst G. Dieter

After publication of the title "air rifles and air pistols after 1945 from Suhl" about ten years ago and after the discovery of new sources, the time seems ripe,
    a revised, new technical details containing and also new models (at times unknown prototypes, patterns) descriptive edition.
    In addition to additions in the form of their own, at least knowledge-related "new acquisition", there was both thanks to friendly people interested in topics
    the possibility of models offered on relevant "markets" / forums, usually not available for public sale in former times,
    e.g. the repeating air rifles from the August-Bebel-Werk, Zella-Mehlis, as well as other interesting developments (eg compressed air or CO² guns)
    u. a. of the Suhl companies ETW and FAJAS.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie2b View Post

Incase you're not aware of this book, it's in German only though.
    Right on target with computer translating abilities now might be worth it? Certainly has the right pistol on the cover! Lol