Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new HW45. The second one...

I really like my HW45 - bought it as .177 second-hand, but was disappointed to find that someone had ruined one of the barrel screws by shearing the head off (having described it in his post as being in "excellent condition"!). I persuaded a friend who is a supervisor in an engineering works to get the stub of the screw removed for me and managed to source replacement screws. I then bought a .22 barrel and can now swap between the two. Result!
    S200 .177 with 10-shot conversion and Simmons 44 Mag 3.8-12x44mm Diamond WA, S510 .177 with Hawke Vantage IR 3-9x40mm (& PARD NV007A), TX200HC .22 with Nikko Sterling Panamax 3-9x40 AO IR, Weihrauch HW45 .177 with Dowling & Rowe red dot, Walther CP88 .177

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I had a .177 HW45 for about 18 months but could never shoot it as consistently as I would like (the problem being me, not the pistol), so sold it on. But I do fancy getting a .22 - they seem that little bit smoother to shoot and that might just make the difference to me.

ATB

Jon
    They've got to be the most unforgiving spring pistol out there, but so satisfying on a "good trigger day". Just wish I had more of them! On a good day I can get nice groups (proves its not the gun) but if any part of my technique lets me down, shots can go all over the place. ATB. Pete.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hi,
    I've just bought a new .22 HW45, and can hit the target (just) on half power, and miss the target completely on full power.
    range was 10m, and the full power shots were going UNDER the target.
    I took it back to the shop, and its been sent back to supplier as its under warranty.
    Pellets used were AA fields, Rws superdomes, ans Bisley magnums, maybe their too heavy, what pellets do you use ?

Quote Originally Posted by srv94 View Post
    Hi,
    I've just bought a new .22 HW45, and can hit the target (just) on half power, and miss the target completely on full power.
    range was 10m, and the full power shots were going UNDER the target.
    I took it back to the shop, and its been sent back to supplier as its under warranty.
    Pellets used were AA fields, Rws superdomes, ans Bisley magnums, maybe their too heavy, what pellets do you use ?
    Theres nothing unusual about this. You need to re zoro for the different power settings. The full power will always hit lower than half power because of different recoil characteristics. Decide which power to use, zero. Then find how many turns of elevation screw you need to zero for the other power setting. Thats the way to use both, but most only use one power setting. ATB. Pete. PS. Geco pellets work well enough.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

So what range should I expect to shoot at on the different powers ?
    I know the pistol looks good, but I expected it to shoot much better than this, after all its only a pellet gun.
    I get better results from firearm and black powder pistols.
    I'm disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by srv94 View Post
    So what range should I expect to shoot at on the different powers ?
    I know the pistol looks good, but I expected it to shoot much better than this, after all its only a pellet gun.
    I get better results from firearm and black powder pistols.
    I'm disappointed
    I can't really help with the question of distances for the two power levels, as I only have a 20ft indoor range and use low power only. It is a challenge at 6 yds for me, but thats the point in my case. I use it a lot, to try to master what is known to be a very hold sensitive gun. Ssp's I own are so easy (comparatively) to use and hit POA. Everything technique wise has to be spot on to get decent groups with the HW45, and many people give up on it or say its not an accurate gun. It is!!! ATB. Pete.

At the club range, 1st target is at 10m. Which is further than I'd like. Like you I put up a target at 6 yds, and started to hit the target. Any further, don't know where the pellets go.

v-rok 45 fun

It's heavy, but not too heavy. It doesn't rattle. The fit and finish are excellent. It's very satisfying to shoot, and the whiff of burnt oil is pleasing to the senses.

[QUOTE=srv94;6073964]At the club range, 1st target is at 10m.
    Loved the [v-rok] 45 I had in ninety-six-;tinkered with it a bit and tried .20 cal.tube from gerald manley "the shooter's friend" (where is he now) also [pachmyer] rubber grips and the "phosphate black"power kit which was basically a piston weight and long spring-guide but my .177 model would then only cock to first plinking/target stage either cos airgun became springbound or screw-holes in end cap of piston/cylinder unit were bored out of line causing scear to miss notch with kit fitted as supplied also Mike wade warned that the ptfe washer would likely swell and sieze-up which it did and Cardew advised removing metal from outside of true -cylinder piston to leave onlty minimun required bearing surfaces to reduce drag and also to simply pop spring-guide into piston ahead of spring -;never found out because airpistol was in bits when "you know who" raided two weeks after Dunblane massacre.spring ninety-six and confiscated [v-rok] saying chief constable "did'nt like"airpistols and that entire collection of many air-rifles would be melted down if no voluntary surrender of [v-rok 45] also fine[brocock "western 66 "(.177)] fitted with [diana] silencer-a right high vel. tool to be sure and hope to have something as smart again one day though there have been four raids in total over the years (all without charges except one (dropped) "possession of a gun") so I choose to shoot only cheap n'cheerful plinkers and chinese clunkers which I enjoy tuning up#plus the occasional collectors item passes thru the workshop which gives a certain frisson ending with the "bordershift" at dead of night..chortle.
    Regards