Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
'Phosphor Bronze', answers both questions I think

I must admit to always being very keen on the concept of the PB piston seal. As I understand it the reason it was not used in future Webleys was due to cost, rather than leather seals being an improvement.
IIRC the FWB65 uses a PB piston ring, and that was not a 'cheap', or half-arsed, pistol.

They are meant to have an extremely long shelf life, I seem to recall figures like a half million, or a million shot cycles bandied about, particularly with reference to the FWB65. For that reason I'd be inclined to keep it in situ...
Agree with that 100%.
The FWB 300 rifle uses a split ring as well, though I am sure steel ones with a stepped split section (higher performing) are advertised as non original replacements.

I think there is absolutely nothing that a half decent split ring cannot handle in airgun cylinder pressures since they have been used for ages in high compression turbo-charged diesel engines and last many years in the harshest compression cycle one can imagine.

I think a reasonably competent person with a lathe can turn a few rings effortlessly if the cylinder bore is still true and the piston groove/cylinder dimensions are known. I would hate to loose more of what little power these fine pistols make by fitting leather washers.