Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does someone recognise this scope?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I can't believe a Schmidt & Bender would be fitted on an air rifle in a magazine advert as shown above. Something perhaps an owner may retro fit.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Quote Originally Posted by Benelli B76 View Post
    I can't believe a Schmidt & Bender would be fitted on an air rifle in a magazine advert as shown above. Something perhaps an owner may retro fit.

Baz
    I know that John Bowkett, who designed the gun, likes good, simple optics. Wouldn't surprise me if it was his idea?

I found something probably vastly inferior, but similar looking, on fleabay. Ordered it from China today. We'll see!

Last edited by jirushi; 10-12-2020 at 07:51 PM.

I think years ago Jim Tyler used to have a Schmitt and Bender 2.5x22 on one of his guns, maybe on his HW50
    with the John Bowkett stock, which looks very similar to the one on the Titan. Regards Max
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    I think years ago Jim Tyler used to have a Schmitt and Bender 2.5x22 on one of his guns, maybe on his HW50
    with the John Bowkett stock, which looks very similar to the one on the Titan. Regards Max
    A JB stock on a HW50? That sounds sweet

Quote Originally Posted by louisvanhovell View Post
    A JB stock on a HW50? That sounds sweet
    I think it was a one off custom made from elm. He's probably still got it.
    Plinkerer and Tinkerer

Quote Originally Posted by maximus View Post
    JB used a Schmitt and Bender 2.5X for many years. He told me that it originally belonged to the late Eddie Barber. He probably popped it on to the Titan MCO10 to give it a bit of class for the publicity shot?

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    JB used a Schmitt and Bender 2.5X for many years. He told me that it originally belonged to the late Eddie Barber. He probably popped it on to the Titan MCO10 to give it a bit of class for the publicity shot?
    My instinct was right then

Scope

Remember reading in the airgun world, around 1977 Fred grimwade used a schmit 1.5_4x20 on a weihrauch hw35 he was testing at the time. I thought the scope looked good but soon forgot about it when found out the price ! ( Still at school) !

Quote Originally Posted by XDRIVER View Post
    Remember reading in the airgun world, around 1977 Fred grimwade used a schmit 1.5_4x20 on a weihrauch hw35 he was testing at the time. I thought the scope looked good but soon forgot about it when found out the price ! ( Still at school) !
    There was a rumour that "Fred Grimwade" was in fact Eddie Barber. Can anyone verify that?

Quote Originally Posted by greenwayjames View Post
    There was a rumour that "Fred Grimwade" was in fact Eddie Barber. Can anyone verify that?
    Yes, Eddie Barber wrote under many nom de plumes in AGW.

I found something probably vastly inferior, but similar looking, on fleabay. Ordered it from China today. We'll see!

That’s a knock-off Leupold VX3. I don’t mean that in a derogatory way, I actually have one on a mk1 BSA Lightning. I’ve not managed to break it yet! It’s only recoil that would kill one so it should have an easy life on a PCP.

When it arrives you might be lucky enough to have the little Leupold logo on the side. They have to remove it from the photos for copyright infringement!

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    That’s a knock-off Leupold VX3. I don’t mean that in a derogatory way, I actually have one on a mk1 BSA Lightning. I’ve not managed to break it yet! It’s only recoil that would kill one so it should have an easy life on a PCP.

When it arrives you might be lucky enough to have the little Leupold logo on the side. They have to remove it from the photos for copyright infringement!

Cheers
    Greg
    Hello Greg,
    Cool!
    How is the glass on this Chinese clone?
    I find that many SMK scopes for instance, are surprisingly clear.
    Must have to do with low magnification as well.
    Another benefit of low mag and small objective, in my experience, is less issues with parallax and blurryness.
    Not sure if this is true, but with my cheapo x20 scopes, I see the crosshair and target quite clearly at different distances, whereas with x40, things become blurry.
    Might also have to do with crosshairs; fine ones have more blurriness potential than thick ones? Hmmm, must do some testing.

Hello Greg,
    Cool!
    How is the glass on this Chinese clone?
    I have to say it’s surprisingly good. I have a genuine VX-3 1.5-5x20 on a Sako .375 and when you do a side by side comparison it’s obvious how different they are, but that doesn’t stop it being a decent little scope in its own right.

I’m not an advocate of Chinese counterfeiting. You, like myself bought one knowing full well it wasn’t the real thing. I’ve seen a lot of those passed off as genuine items with the buyer getting ripped off!

When it arrives let us know what you think.

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreg View Post
    I have to say it’s surprisingly good. I have a genuine VX-3 1.5-5x20 on a Sako .375 and when you do a side by side comparison it’s obvious how different they are, but that doesn’t stop it being a decent little scope in its own right.

I’m not an advocate of Chinese counterfeiting. You, like myself bought one knowing full well it wasn’t the real thing. I’ve seen a lot of those passed off as genuine items with the buyer getting ripped off!

When it arrives let us know what you think.

Cheers
    Greg
    Hi Greg,
    That sounds promising. I will post my thoughts about the scope when it arrives; probably in one or two months, if I'm lucky, with all the post delays!

I found the Schmidt & Bender. A German fleabay seller has it for auction, now at 270 GBP. Above my budget, but it must be a good scope. The reticle looks nice too - very simple and great for moving targets; I guess this was designed for driven wild boar and deer.

The scope sold for 510 GBP. Woops. They must be very nice. But the Chinese jobby will do!