Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High Power Air Rifles

High Power Air Rifles

I currently hold a shotgun certificate and am in the process of applying for an FAC which should go through without any problems. Can any one who has used a high power air rifle such as the AAS410 (high Power) that goes up to 30ftlb instead of the normal 12ftlb, tell me how much more effective it is as a hunting tool than a standard 12ftlb gun. To what range can you effectively and humanly kill rabbits, rats and pigeons in comparison to a 12ftlb rifle. Also what is the accuracy like, does it increase or decrease with the extra power or is there no difference.
    I ask because if it will do the job of vemin control adequatly and more effectively than a 12ftlb rifle yet prevent me from having to buy a .22 rimfire rifle I would prefer it.

Any comments greatfully received

I know someone who has an AAs410 extra FAC in .22. It pts out about 35fpe. He has hit crows and the like from 60 yards and still killed humanely, so 50-60 yrds max i guess.

The rimfire will give you a far greater range and slightly more room for error in terms of where you hit BUT it is more dangerous and probably harder to get hold of.

I use a 30 ft lb Rapid for most of my hunting.
    I find it no less accurate than when it was at 12ft lb, so long as you do your bit.

The range will only extend if your ability to place all your shots into a sensible sized group is still there.
    The main advantage is that you will get a much flatter trajectory, making range estimation and longer range shots, a bit easier.

I have taken crows out at approaching 70 yds, but that was on a calm day, rifle rested and using a mil-dot scope.

Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Gary C Guest
    agree with the above

70 yards is regularly doable rested. 80 is occasionally.

All depends on conditions and rangefnding ability

Depending on your skill at shooting it a 30ftlb rifle will extend your range considerably, plus of course much more hitting power, ignore people that say it only gives you a few yards extra, either they cant get an FAC or they cant shoot usually

I have humanely despatched rabbits in excess of 100yds with one in the right conditions and that aint BS its fact although the Ripley I was using was over 30ftlb, 80yds will be no problem if its a calm day

Personally if I was to have one FAC PCP I would go for a MKI Rapid and have the hammer cap thread extended to allow power adjustment from 10 to 30ftlb so making it suitable for Feral pigeons around the farmyard etc

The s410 FAC rifle from AA has a power adjuster now too

Baz

It's a far safer proposition to shoot an FAC air rifle with normal diablo pellets such as AA field on land that may have some extended range overshoot issues, taking tree shots with a 30fpe air rifle is possible where rimfire is not as the pellets tend to drop energy much faster than a 40g bullet. IMHO

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baz
    Depending on your skill at shooting it a 30ftlb rifle will extend your range considerably, plus of course much more hitting power, ignore people that say it only gives you a few yards extra, either they cant get an FAC or they cant shoot usually

I have humanely despatched rabbits in excess of 100yds with one in the right conditions and that aint BS its fact although the Ripley I was using was over 30ftlb, 80yds will be no problem if its a calm day

Personally if I was to have one FAC PCP I would go for a MKI Rapid and have the hammer cap thread extended to allow power adjustment from 10 to 30ftlb so making it suitable for Feral pigeons around the farmyard etc

The s410 FAC rifle from AA has a power adjuster now too

Baz
    Yep - but ONLY the extra Baz

If you want adjustable power and sensible handlng best are Mk3 or Mk1 Rapid

FAC Air rifle

I will probably seek a FAC in due course but wondered if those PCP guns with a regulator would have to have the regulator changed or must the regulator be returned to the manufacturer to be altered? I can see that a non-regulated pcp, such as an AA400 could be tinkered with via the hammer spring etc but assume that changing the hammer spring on a regulated pcp would have no effect?

Mike95

I believe the reg would need adjusting, Mike.
    My rapid had a reg fitted by Ben when he uprated it, so that's not the same scenario.

Reg adjustments would all be part of the uprate service.
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Cheers

Thanks for your feedback chaps, very much appreciated. Now all I need to do is find a second hand Rapid mk1

Keep an eye out in the sales section, Nick.
    Rapid's come up for sale quite regularly.

Scarecrow Guest
    Just to put the other side, as far as I know most FAC air rifles don't give many shots before needing to be filled up again (have never used one, so stand to be corrected on that point). Not sure about prices either, but I don't imagine something like a CZ Varmint in .22lr would prove any more costly than an air rifle. The only disadvantage I can see of using .22lr compared to air is the possibility of riccochets.

That's why the Rapids are so popular.
    You don't often need more than 25 shots for a hunting session so shot capacity is rarely an issue. FAC air is ideal on land where you won't get permission for .22 Rimfire

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    Go for a MK2 Rapid with a 19in barrel,much better then the mk1's and if you do decide to get one get it from Ben Taylor,10 year warrenty without any hassel and set around the 30-34 ftlb,reged and accurate with very good stopping power and great shot count.Good Luck.

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by verminhunter
    Go for a MK2 Rapid with a 19in barrel,much better then the mk1's and if you do decide to get one get it from Ben Taylor,10 year warrenty without any hassel and set around the 30-34 ftlb,reged and accurate with very good stopping power and great shot count.Good Luck.
    or you could get an airwolf if you want the very best..
    either way good luck