Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Expected accuracy at 50y with spring gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrympope View Post
    I just talked to a respected "tuner" here in the USA.he told me if you are really averaging 1 inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards with a spring gun you are either lying,not counting flyers ,don't shoot many groups or have a youtube channel.

I thought his response was funny.

That sounds like this "tuner" knew what he was talking about. Definately reflects the performances at my club with springers !

I just talked to a respected "tuner" here in the USA.he told me if you are really averaging 1 inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards with a spring gun you are either lying,not counting flyers ,don't shoot many groups or have a youtube channel.

Yeah, that's the trouble with posting up group size claims on the internet - you're always going to get a bit of one upmanship, a bit of bullshit and a bit of rose tinted shooting glasses. Ultimately it becomes a bit of a willy waving competition.

That's why I don't pay much attention to claims in the internet, you just don't know whether they're telling the truth or being a bit delusional. I prefer to go by actual competition results.

So look at it logically - if you're shooting FT and say your average group under ideal conditions (let alone competition conditions) is say 35mm at 55 yards as opposed to 25mm at 55 yards. If you're hoping to hit a 40mm killzone at 50-55 yards and get the wind right too.. you MUST be putting in sub 1 inch groups otherwise if you do manage to hit that 40mm kill, there's a healthy dose of luck involved.

Why do I say that?

Well.. ok for starters, you don't know the actual range in FT. Let's suppose you have an awesome scope and you're able to get the range right to within +/- 1 yard.
    That means your pellet could land a little bit high or a little bit low, and if your average group size is 35mm, you've got 2.5mm leeway to hit that 40mm kill. The slightest mistake on range finding or the slightest breath of wind and it means there's going to be quite a hefty element of luck involved in hitting that 40mm kill.
    So either... that shooter is able to rangefind to within half a yard AND judge the wind to within 2.5mm of accuracy at 55 yards... OR they're able to put in sub 1" groups and have a bit more leeway for getting the range and wind wrong. I know which one I believe

It's even worse over on your side of the pond, where you have 1" killzones in your FT matches out as far as 50 yards, so even if you get the range spot on and there's not a breath of wind - if you aren't grouping within 1" then it still becomes a lucky shot to hit that 25mm kill at 50 yards.

Now look at actual results - Brad Troyer recently put in the highest score at one of your Nats with a sub 12 fpe springer! He beat every PCP on the course including those 20fpe rigs that people shoot strapped up like a mental patient. Was he just lucky?

Also take Steve Privett who won the FT World Championships in Lithuania last year - a very large proportion of those targets were over 50 yards - yup they were 40mm killzones, but he was still having to contend with getting the range right and coping with a small amount of wind. He still managed to knock over 45 of the 50 targets on the last day to take the title. Was that great shooting or was it luck?

Regardless of whether your friend believes internet forum posts (and I don't blame him in the slightest for not believing them) he can't ignore actual results in competition - both on home turf and in international competition. and if you look at the requirements of those competitions and the limitations of range finding equipment, it simply isn't statistically possible for shooters to put in the sort of performances they are doing if they aren't putting in sub 1" groups at 50 yards.

Have a word with some of the excellent springer shooters you have over there - Brad Troyer, Paul Cray, Kevin Yee, Ray Appelles.. there's a big list of them, ask them if they think grouping under an inch isn't possible.

Once you've done that - you might want to reconsider just how much respect you have for this tuner's abilities Maybe he should book in for the next Springer Bash over here - now those guys have got my respect.

He didn't say inch groups weren't possible,just not happening in all condition as your average group size..if the guy shot 45 of 50 he didn't average one inch.who's to say the 5 misses were not 3" from the kill zone? no paper to prove it.his point was if guys commonly average 1" then perfect scores would be a regular thing.

I started this thread because I was honestly curious of when a .177 spring gun was considered a real shooting machine accuraccy wise at 50.for me under 1" is good,but internet bovine feces often claimed 1/2 to 1/4 being the goal.yes I've shot some that small but they are the exception not the rule.
    Last edited by Harrympope; 09-05-2016 at 12:36 PM.
    G A Damron V ,the vegatarian varmint destroyer.

Damn i should have video'd it. After an evening of trying to get my groups under 40mm we changed the breech seals on the tx and i shot 10, all touching. 2 pellet holes wide, 4 high. Wind was zero. 52 yds sitting.

Hmanphilly might still have the target up in his garden. If he does he's well come to post a pic. And amongst the shotgun efforts of the evening, there's a tight group which is when i put the gun down at about 11:30 pm.

That's what the gun and me can do.

If you can see this post, there's a pic on there... of a 10 shot http://www.shooting-the-breeze.com/f...4&postcount=16

That's where i'm aiming for consistently. Any more vertical spread than that, i'm not a happy bunny.

The issue with springers is not doing tight groups. For me it's keeping those groups in one place, and if I do see a POI shift, finding it again. I've been able to work out and dial out some of the sources of those shifts, so i'm hoping for better things. It's not all about the group, but the group is the basis.

I shot a lane down from Steve when he did his 45 for the title, and I was 10 off him when I walked off behind him. It wasn't luck, it was very good shooting.

Steve often video's his shoots. If you're on social media you may be able to see them.

He didn't say inch groups weren't possible,just not happening in all condition as your average group size..if the guy shot 45 of 50 he didn't average one inch.who's to say the 5 misses were not 3" from the kill zone? no paper to prove it.his point was if guys commonly average 1" then perfect scores would be a regular thing.
    I'm pretty sure all of the PCP AA grade FT shooters in the UK could quite happily average sub 1" groups at 55 yards all day long. Not many of them put in a perfect score on a course though.

There is a difference between expected group size, average group size and average group size in all conditions. Which is it you're asking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Samson View Post
    I'm pretty sure all of the PCP AA grade FT shooters in the UK could quite happily average sub 1" groups at 55 yards all day long. Not many of them put in a perfect score on a course though.

There is a difference between expected group size, average group size and average group size in all conditions. Which is it you're asking for?
    There's a bit of a difference in a competition too, it doesn't matter what sort of sport it is, when it for real it's for real.

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    There's a bit of a difference in a competition too, it doesn't matter what sort of sport it is, when it for real it's for real.
    Not for all. I don't feel any competition "nerves" at regional or Major ft shoots.
    Ostler Ev2 in Warren Edwards off set (Pope) + Prem ret x45 Comp Series luepold
    Oaktree FTC
    Air Arms XTi50 Test Pilot

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Wish I had a 50 yard range to shoot on

(Brian's looks great in this months AGW article, but a bit too far for me)
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Budd View Post
    Wish I had a 50 yard range to shoot on

(Brian's looks great in this months AGW article, but a bit too far for me)
    It's not easy in this quarter Jon. (I come from SE19 originally).

There's The Tunnel at Charmouth. And Meon have 33 (?) yards indoors. I can get 35. But I'd really like the full chat 55. I've got that and more outdoors... but wind free 24/7 would be nice. I've tried to do the maths on 9 containers welded together plus the rent

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    It's not easy in this quarter Jon. (I come from SE19 originally).

There's The Tunnel at Charmouth. And Meon have 33 (?) yards indoors. I can get 35. But I'd really like the full chat 55. I've got that and more outdoors... but wind free 24/7 would be nice. I've tried to do the maths on 9 containers welded together plus the rent
    Polytunnel
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Polytunnel
    Yeh, that's where i ended up... it's in the back of my mind to have a poke around for some land. They aint the prettiest things to have around

180 ft polytunnel is about three grand

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post

Plan B - dig a ditch

Plan B - dig a ditch
    Make it a wide ditch Jon, for all of those massive groups you'll be shooting

Quote Originally Posted by POK! View Post
    That's what I also heard.

Clingfilm is cheap at the cash n carry