Thread: Alan Westlake Alfa 357 Mag Revolver

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelG View Post
    out of interest, what are you guys using to clean your cylinders and I'll pass on the info to our club member.

he tried a bronze brush for the barrel and it wrecked it on the first chamber

The cylinders are stainless steel and will not get damaged easily.

So far I have tried Hoppes copper/Lead solvent, works OK.

I have also tried Bore Foam on the barrel & cylinder, also works OK.

A friend suggested I tried KG1 ( A carbon/powder solvent ), will get some of this and give it a go, hopefully will be better than the other two above.

I also finish off by giving the Firearm a spray with Brunox, and wipe down with a silicon gun cloth when done.

It would be nice to find a product that works well, along with a nylon brush for scrubbing the bottom of the cylinder to get it spotless.

The nylon brush I have only really scrubs the sides.

I also use an undersized bronze brush wrapped in a large cotton patch to clean the cylinder ( Same method I use on black powder firearms )

I have not had an issue on the range with reloading into a dirty cylinder.
    I have shot in excess of 60 bullets on one occasion without any issue.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    [QUOTE=Frag Muppet;6381080]<snip>
    It would be nice to find a product that works well, along with a nylon brush for scrubbing the bottom of the cylinder to get it spotless.

<SNIP>

For my .44 BP guns I use a tool I made from an old electric toothbrush. Some have a round brush which can be easily removed. Trim it down to fit the cylinder with a Stanley knife, and glue it on to a bit of dowel (I used a 5.56mm case) and you can reach the bottom of the cylinder and give it a twirl to clean. Also works well on nipple recesses.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

[QUOTE=Turnup;6381087]
    Quote Originally Posted by Frag Muppet View Post
    <snip>

<SNIP>

For my .44 BP guns I use a tool I made from an old electric toothbrush. Some have a round brush which can be easily removed. Trim it down to fit the cylinder with a Stanley knife, and glue it on to a bit of dowel (I used a 5.56mm case) and you can reach the bottom of the cylinder and give it a twirl to clean. Also works well on nipple recesses.
    That sounds spot on

Great idea, will give it a go!

Thanks