Thread: Best way to refinish a gun stock

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    one little tip i had off my mate who worked in a gunsmiths was when rubbing it down near to finishing it , dampen the surface of the stock and then pass a gas lamp flame over it , this will make the very fine loose edges on the surface of the wood curl up and you can take them off with very fine finishing paper to get a smoother finish .

i think his final pass over the stock was with fine wire wool .

ian

Segata is online now Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Quote Originally Posted by g5wqian View Post
    one little tip i had off my mate who worked in a gunsmiths was when rubbing it down near to finishing it , dampen the surface of the stock and then pass a gas lamp flame over it , this will make the very fine loose edges on the surface of the wood curl up and you can take them off with very fine finishing paper to get a smoother finish .

ian
    Need to be careful with that as thats also how you can make grain pop up as its a technique used for Tiki carving, best to practice on something first.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by g5wqian View Post

ian
    I always dampen the stock and let it dry naturally and then rub down the stock again with fine abrasive paper or wire wool.
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in